ForumGolf 8
  1. Startseite
  2. Forum
  3. Auto
  4. Volkswagen
  5. Golf
  6. Golf 8
  7. (English) Maps on Digital Cockpit for Discover Media?

(English) Maps on Digital Cockpit for Discover Media?

VW Golf 8 (CD)
Themenstarteram 5. Oktober 2020 um 8:27

Hello,

I am sorry for the English, I only know very little German language. I am trying to understand the differences in functionality between Discover media and Discover Pro for the new Golf 8, before I order one. But I am getting confusing information from the dealers, probably because they have only seen Discover Pro in the showing rooms.

In my country (Greece), the Discover Pro is currently not available for ordering. At the same time, the dealers are telling me that without the Discover Pro, I cannot show the navigation maps on the digital cockpit. However, the Discover Media is available for ordering, but they tell me that the Discover Media can only show the maps on the infotainment screen.

And this all creates a problem because I really want that feature of seeing the maps in the digital cockpit, even if it is just a gimmick/gadget. Does anyone know if the Discover Media can show the maps on Digital Cockpit, and what the REAL differences are with Discover Pro?

As far as I remember, for the MK7.5, the Discover Media had the capability of showing the maps either on the cockpit, or the infotainment screen, but not both at the same time, whereas the Discover Pro had the capability of showing them both at the same time. Have they removed that feature in the MK8 or is that still valid?

Thanks in advance!

Beste Antwort im Thema

Hello alltogether,

perhaps some pictures show more than many words. Attached pictures from my Discover Media MK8 MY2021. Thats all. No Navigationmap on Virtual Cockpit possible!

+1
37 weitere Antworten
Ähnliche Themen
37 Antworten

Hello,

for us Germans it is also very confusing. VW doesn't say exactly what the differences are.

we suspect a weaker CPU in Discover Media, but whe don't know exactly

what we know about the Discover Media:

- no high resolution map (but the first users of DM saying it looks like DP)

- the map can only displayed in "MIB3 Infotainment" but not in "digital cockpit pro" (speedometer display)

- only 1 year free "We Connect Plus" (DP has 3 years free)

Regards

Hi,

for most here English is ok I think. You are correct with the fact that most(if not all) Showroom cars are having DP.

In Germany, we started the Golf 8 with DP only, lateron, the Composition Media came. So here it was all or nothing. The DM came later this year, we should see the first cars with DM in the next weeks.

Some people here had contact with the customers support about the exact differences between DP and DM and have gotten obviously false information or just no interesting information at all.

I have heard that other MIB3 cars (Passat) are also not being able to display the map in the cockpit with DM. Technically, this is possible as with the old MIB2, but sadly, VW did not build the car with the needed cable.

Normally, I would suggest to invest the extra 700€ in case you want to be sure. But with the DP being not avaliable in several countries, this is not really an option to be afraid.

After all, I think it would be best to wait a few weeks to have some more DM delivered in Germany. I think there will be some feedback here.

Themenstarteram 5. Oktober 2020 um 11:49

Thanks a lot for the replies and the support. I had made an official inquiry into the sales/customer support here, and they finally contacted me today with an "official" answer.

They told me that as I suspected, the Discover Media really does not support showing the maps in the Digital Cockpit in any way. Only the Discover Pro has got that capability. They also told me that,again as I suspected, it is really not possible to order the DP here in Greece at the moment, and they refused to give any kind of "roadmap" as to when it might be possible to order it with the DP.So that is the "official" reply here.

I would be fine with paying extra for the DP, but I can't even do that. It is really a bummer that they can't offer it. I suppose after a year or two, there will be a retrofit solution somewhere ,but I really didn't want to go down that road.

I did the same, just asked my vendor if that is true. If it is, I will try to upgrade to Discovery Pro as well, which shouldn't be a problem here in Germany.

I did not order the HUD because I thought the maps would be in the Digital Cockpit, but as they're not I'm really gonna miss out. Also the 1 year instead of 3 years probably makes it cheaper for me to get the pro, as with leasing I'll just pay part of the Pro price, but would pay full WeConnect price.

Hello alltogether,

perhaps some pictures show more than many words. Attached pictures from my Discover Media MK8 MY2021. Thats all. No Navigationmap on Virtual Cockpit possible!

+1
Themenstarteram 5. Oktober 2020 um 13:32

Thanks a lot, that helps. It seems to be a more common consensus now that Discover Media DOES NOT support maps in Digital Cockpit.

Zitat:

@RoyKabel schrieb am 5. Oktober 2020 um 14:15:41 Uhr:

Hello alltogether,

Themenstarteram 5. Oktober 2020 um 13:37

Yeah, now I am also wondering the same. I am actually torn between two approaches:

1) If I can't show the maps in Digital Cockpit for DM and can't order the D Pro in my country, why bother with VW navi at all, and just stay with Composition. Smaller screen and resolution, yes, but same sound quality, still knobs for volume and I can use the Google Maps when I need them. Plus I am saving some more money by removing the HUD as well(HUD is only available if you add any kind of Navi).

2) Add at least the DM and HUD to make the car look more fancy and practical, and simply hope that later it will be easier to enable maps on Digital Cockpit via some VCDS hacks or retrofit, fingers crossed.

I am leaning towards #2, but #1 is not that bad either.

Zitat:

@phchecker17 schrieb am 5. Oktober 2020 um 14:03:34 Uhr:

I did the same, just asked my vendor if that is true. If it is, I will try to upgrade to Discovery Pro as well, which shouldn't be a problem here in Germany.

I did not order the HUD because I thought the maps would be in the Digital Cockpit, but as they're not I'm really gonna miss out. Also the 1 year instead of 3 years probably makes it cheaper for me to get the pro, as with leasing I'll just pay part of the Pro price, but would pay full WeConnect price.

#1 Sounds reasonable and fair, altough I am very disappointed of VW to reject your money :)

#2 I would not say that this is impossible, but keep in mind that VWs online control unit as able to monitor and to "correct" coding and features in some control units, the Infotainment being one of those.

Themenstarteram 5. Oktober 2020 um 13:59

I completely forgot about that. Is it the end of an era? Will we not be able to enable features via VCDS in the future, without the VW police finding out? Strange times...

Zitat:

@newty schrieb am 5. Oktober 2020 um 15:47:20 Uhr:

#1 Sounds reasonable and fair, altough I am very disappointed of VW to reject your money :)

#2 I would not say that this is impossible, but keep in mind that VWs online control unit as able to monitor and to "correct" coding and features in some control units, the Infotainment being one of those.

My vendor will be "trying it out" on their new GTE with Discovery Media, but already told me that it is not possible to change the configuration.

If I wanted to change the configuration, I'd need a new leasing contract (as others have said here before) and the offer I accepted is not valid anymore. So I'd need to pay double the money .... Gonna have to live with no navigation and no HUD :( Really sucks!

Today my vendor wrote me that DM will definitly show the map on the digital cockpit.

Just with MJ21?

Themenstarteram 6. Oktober 2020 um 19:54

Thanks for that. But it seems we have conflicting evidence. RoyKabel posted photos of his new MY21 with DM above and he mentioned there was no way of showing the map on the cockpit. What is true in the end?

Zitat:

@golf3gtiedition schrieb am 6. Oktober 2020 um 21:29:37 Uhr:

Today my vendor wrote me that DM will definitly show the map on the digital cockpit.

Verndors wanna sell...

Deine Antwort