ForumGolf 8
  1. Startseite
  2. Forum
  3. Auto
  4. Volkswagen
  5. Golf
  6. Golf 8
  7. (English) Maps on Digital Cockpit for Discover Media?

(English) Maps on Digital Cockpit for Discover Media?

VW Golf 8 (CD)
Themenstarteram 5. Oktober 2020 um 8:27

Hello,

I am sorry for the English, I only know very little German language. I am trying to understand the differences in functionality between Discover media and Discover Pro for the new Golf 8, before I order one. But I am getting confusing information from the dealers, probably because they have only seen Discover Pro in the showing rooms.

In my country (Greece), the Discover Pro is currently not available for ordering. At the same time, the dealers are telling me that without the Discover Pro, I cannot show the navigation maps on the digital cockpit. However, the Discover Media is available for ordering, but they tell me that the Discover Media can only show the maps on the infotainment screen.

And this all creates a problem because I really want that feature of seeing the maps in the digital cockpit, even if it is just a gimmick/gadget. Does anyone know if the Discover Media can show the maps on Digital Cockpit, and what the REAL differences are with Discover Pro?

As far as I remember, for the MK7.5, the Discover Media had the capability of showing the maps either on the cockpit, or the infotainment screen, but not both at the same time, whereas the Discover Pro had the capability of showing them both at the same time. Have they removed that feature in the MK8 or is that still valid?

Thanks in advance!

Beste Antwort im Thema

Hello alltogether,

perhaps some pictures show more than many words. Attached pictures from my Discover Media MK8 MY2021. Thats all. No Navigationmap on Virtual Cockpit possible!

+1
37 weitere Antworten
Ähnliche Themen
37 Antworten

Wenn das Kabel für die Verbindung fehlt hilft auch SW-Update ;)

Themenstarteram 16. Oktober 2020 um 21:55

Please stick to English if possible, as the original subject was posted in english.

Indeed, if the DM is missing an important cable to show the map on the cockpit, then no software update can fix this. Perhaps a retrofit, later, but with the now smarter coding security check, I am not sure if this will be possible.

Hello,

my Golf 8 has both Discover Pro and Digital Cockpit Pro as standard, but since I got my Golf 8, I quickly noticed that the cockpit does not have the map view.

I contacted the dealer and was told that my Golf 8's digital cockpit indeed does not have the map view because some other (inferior) component has been used in its production. I was also told that the component will be changed/has been changed at some point in production from which on the map view is again included.

To my understanding my Golf should have it... I'm still in talks about it with the dealer.

It is absurd since the Golf I had for a test drive had it. Also the Golfs that have been used in commercial test drive videos etc. have it. Even their marketing material shows it.

Themenstarteram 18. Oktober 2020 um 23:48

That's awful. So you actually paid for the Discover Pro, and you still don't have the ability to show maps on the cockpit? What happened there?

Zitat:

@Tepa123 schrieb am 18. Oktober 2020 um 22:05:09 Uhr:

Hello,

my Golf 8 has both Discover Pro and Digital Cockpit Pro as standard, but since I got my Golf 8, I quickly noticed that the cockpit does not have the map view.

I contacted the dealer and was told that my Golf 8's digital cockpit indeed does not have the map view because some other (inferior) component has been used in its production. I was also told that the component will be changed/has been changed at some point in production from which on the map view is again included.

To my understanding my Golf should have it... I'm still in talks about it with the dealer.

It is absurd since the Golf I had for a test drive had it. Also the Golfs that have been used in commercial test drive videos etc. have it. Even their marketing material shows it.

Zitat:

@mulder85 schrieb am 19. Oktober 2020 um 01:48:27 Uhr:

That's awful. So you actually paid for the Discover Pro, and you still don't have the ability to show maps on the cockpit? What happened there?

That is my understanding. I have not yet received a more precise explanation from the dealer. By my logic this should be a much wider issue with Golf 8 buyers, e.g. no one whose Golf 8 has been produced in a certain timeframe has a digital cockpit with the map view.

I'm also struggling with software problems (like many others, if I'm correct) and planning to contact media. But that's off-topic from this.

am 4. Januar 2021 um 14:27

Hello, I'm going to order my MK8 this week in Belgium. Unfortunately dealers I visited here are not able to tell me the difference between Discovery Media and Pro. Most of them tells me that DM comes with 8.25" screen and physical knobs... From my understanding, DM has only one year of esim internet service plan whereas Pro has 3 years plan. Please let me know if I'm correct and it's the only difference. Once esim contract is expired, can I use shared internet from my smartphone?

Do you guys know if DM is now confirmed to display satnav in virtual cockpit?

I have been told by my dealer that DM and DP are essentially the same.

I have DM and with it you can’t have the map view in cluster/virtual cockpit. I assume it is a software restriction.

DP indeed has 3 years of the service plan, however for me the services have really never worked (there are loads of massive, unsolved issues with WeConnect) so I wouldn’t give it much value.

Crazy how the dealers all tell a different story about the car.

Edit: just as a disclaimer, I can’t confirm the specs above apply to models sold in Belgium. But it would seem odd if they are significantly different between European countries.

am 4. Januar 2021 um 16:33

Thank you Tepa123, I will go with DM then, I hope it will work with HUD though, I've been waiting for dealer's confirmation for two weeks and still no news.

Deine Antwort