ForumGolf 8
  1. Startseite
  2. Forum
  3. Auto
  4. Volkswagen
  5. Golf
  6. Golf 8
  7. (English) Maps on Digital Cockpit for Discover Media?

(English) Maps on Digital Cockpit for Discover Media?

VW Golf 8 (CD)
Themenstarteram 5. Oktober 2020 um 8:27

Hello,

I am sorry for the English, I only know very little German language. I am trying to understand the differences in functionality between Discover media and Discover Pro for the new Golf 8, before I order one. But I am getting confusing information from the dealers, probably because they have only seen Discover Pro in the showing rooms.

In my country (Greece), the Discover Pro is currently not available for ordering. At the same time, the dealers are telling me that without the Discover Pro, I cannot show the navigation maps on the digital cockpit. However, the Discover Media is available for ordering, but they tell me that the Discover Media can only show the maps on the infotainment screen.

And this all creates a problem because I really want that feature of seeing the maps in the digital cockpit, even if it is just a gimmick/gadget. Does anyone know if the Discover Media can show the maps on Digital Cockpit, and what the REAL differences are with Discover Pro?

As far as I remember, for the MK7.5, the Discover Media had the capability of showing the maps either on the cockpit, or the infotainment screen, but not both at the same time, whereas the Discover Pro had the capability of showing them both at the same time. Have they removed that feature in the MK8 or is that still valid?

Thanks in advance!

Beste Antwort im Thema

Hello alltogether,

perhaps some pictures show more than many words. Attached pictures from my Discover Media MK8 MY2021. Thats all. No Navigationmap on Virtual Cockpit possible!

+1
37 weitere Antworten
Ähnliche Themen
37 Antworten

My vendor answered me that she tested it out in their showroom vehicle and it is indeed not possible to show the map in the cockpit.

So in my opinion we can take it as a fact, that with Discovery Media there‘s no maps in the digital cockpit - which really sucks.

Themenstarteram 6. Oktober 2020 um 21:04

It really does. But hey guess what, it could be worse, like here in Greece, where it is not possible to order it with the Discover Pro for now. It's like VW giving you a big middle finger.

Then order the car in an other EU country!

Themenstarteram 7. Oktober 2020 um 9:40

I wish I could, but my country imposes a large import duty tax (which is kind of illegal for an EU country), which means the total price for the car goes up by about 15-20%.

Zitat:

@Ollner79 schrieb am 7. Oktober 2020 um 11:21:06 Uhr:

Then order the car in an other EU country!

Themenstarteram 13. Oktober 2020 um 13:12

So I spoke to the dealer yesterday, and, if I understood correctly, he told me that from now on, there will be no option to buy between Discover Media and Discover Pro. He told me that basically you can upgrade to the unit called "Ready2Discover", which is the upgrade from Composition Radio, shares the same hardware for both Media/Pro, and then you simply buy (from inside the car or in advance) the package depending on the features you want (map on cockpit, etc). Is there anyone here who could confirm or deny this? Although it sounds like a reasonable plan, considering VWs latest moves, I have tried a few Configurators around Europe and they all still make mention of different Media/Pro versions.

Themenstarteram 14. Oktober 2020 um 11:07

Thanks, the Czech configurator is one of the few that I had tried. It looks like they are still selling them as seperate units. The new question is: If Discover Media/Pro share the same hardware, perhaps VW is planning to let people buy the Media and then pay with their newly introduced plan of "in-car purchases", to add the "maps on cockpit" from Pro functionality?Just wondering.

Zitat:

@Ollner79 schrieb am 13. Oktober 2020 um 15:20:21 Uhr:

Look here:

https://konfigurator.volkswagen.cz/.../@?...

Zitat:

@mulder85 schrieb am 14. Oktober 2020 um 13:07:53 Uhr:

If Discover Media/Pro share the same hardware, perhaps VW is planning to let people buy the Media and then pay with their newly introduced plan of "in-car purchases", to add the "maps on cockpit" from Pro functionality?Just wondering.

Are you sure that the share the same HW?

Didn't read this thread really concentrated but I think it was discussed in German version that the hardware is not the same. Even resolution.

My assumption is the following:

1. In Order to Display map in VC a MOST cable musst ne installed from DM to VC

2. This increases cost of manufacturing and as well of the head unit as it requires a MOST port

3. VW ist saving these costs in DM.

Official answer from VW.

DM can show the Navi in the virutal Cockpit!!

Screenshot-20201016

Viele die das MJ21 haben und weit nach KW30 gebaut wurden, bei denen geht das nicht ;)

Zitat:

@golf3gtiedition schrieb am 16. Oktober 2020 um 11:45:24 Uhr:

Official answer from VW.

Sehr traurig, dass die eigenen Angestellten von VW überhaupt keine Ahnung haben. Meinen Golf mit DM erhalte ich nächste Woche, bin auch sehr betrübt über den neuen "Fortschritt", da tröstet mich auch die LED-Lichtleiste im Frontgrill nicht.

Themenstarteram 16. Oktober 2020 um 12:11

Thanks for that. So much conflicting evidence! VW say it will show maps on Discover Media for cars after week 30(end of July), and recent buyers who have cars made in September(so week 36+), claim that they have no option to show maps on Cockpit. Perhaps VW will run an over the air update to enable all DM units to show maps on screen then?

Zitat:

@golf3gtiedition schrieb am 16. Oktober 2020 um 11:45:24 Uhr:

Official answer from VW.

Perhaps, but I wouldn't rely on it.

As its unfortunately common at VW, all communication is rather poor.

Hopefully there will be an appropriate update in the near future to display the map either on the AID / DM.

Schon ein Armutszeugnis für VW. Sowas will demnächst ein eigenes OS für Fahrzeuge entwickeln. Na dann gute Nacht!

Deine Antwort