3. Auto
  4. Volkswagen
  5. Golf
  6. Golf 7
  7. Rumble and Vibrations, Golf7 TSI 140 DSG

Rumble and Vibrations, Golf7 TSI 140 DSG

VW Golf 7 (AU/5G)
Themenstarteram 28. Oktober 2013 um 19:29

Hello from Norway! New to the forum. Please excuse me writing in English.

Just bought a Nov`12 Golf 7 140 TSI DSG, and love it! OryxWhite, Discover Pro, Pano, 18"Durbans etc.. the whole lot!

But one problem:

Vibrations and "rumble" in car at certain RPM, like 1400-1500. When driving in congested traffic at 0-30km/the DSG tends to shift to gears very quickly up to 3-4 or even 5 or 6 in Comfort and Normal modes, bringing the RPM very low. This makes the whole car suddenly vibrate rather violently, until I press accellerator or brake. Talked to VAG Norway, waiting for a "fix". Now on winter tires 16" exactly same problem. Seems to come from rear suspension, like a resonance or "standing waves" in the car for a few seconds. Rather scary and uncomfortable, and very noticeable to driver and passengers.

Any suggestions? You may definitely write in Deutsch!

Arvid Ka, Norway

Beste Antwort im Thema
Themenstarteram 31. Oktober 2013 um 17:09

ACT war Problem!

Had a test drive with VAG/VW dealer today:

The ACT (Zylinder-cut /Eco-mode) was the reason for the vibrations and rumble!

Driving in heavy traffic in the city at speeds around 30-40km/St the RPM would stay around 1400-1500, and the ECO-sign would come on and off. At these low revs the engine has virtually no power, and the vibrations from the assymetric and handicapped engine were VERY noticeable. Happened every time the ECO sign came on - at this RPM. Pushing the brake or accelerator started all four cylinders, eliminating the shaking and vibrations.

According to the dealer this was inevitable with ACT.

Advice: Pulling the DSG gearstick backwards into Sports mode lets the gearbox change into lower gear, raising the RPM to 2000 or more, where the vibrations are hardly noticeable.

I am not very happy with this situation, and would not recommend the ACT option if I had known this.

40 weitere Antworten
Ähnliche Themen
40 Antworten

Hi Rob, when was your G7 built (or registered)?

I'm just interested if I should contact my dealer about the update. My vibrations could be less (especially at lower rpm's).

am 7. März 2014 um 10:28

Hi,

Build started in March 2013 I think, and completed in April 2013.

Delivered/registered early in May 2013.

The car I test drove which had muss les vibrations vs mine without an update had 500km on the clock. So it was really new (probably build 2014).

Right now i think I have less or comparable vibrations (vs test car) but I still have a movie-camera like noise (I was unable to hear it in the test car, but again I only drove few kms).

Does your car have this noise (appears mainly when the car vibrates, but can be heard slightly when 2-cylinder is engaged and there are no vibrations)? When was your car manufactured?

Cheers,

Robert

Mine was registered in April 2013.

I don't hear a noise. But especially at low rpm's the vibrations are annoying. Do you think you can geht the number of the update from your dealer.

am 8. März 2014 um 21:44

Hi,

Unfortunately, my dealer's representative only knew it was version 5 updated to version 6. He was clueless if DSG software was updated. I wouldn't trust him with version 5 and 6 either.

He also said it was the latest software available. I don't know how much lag there is between software is released in Germany and Poland.

There was no TPI and no manufacturer's recommendations. I pressurized them under guarantee. Their diagnostic tools discovered the update automatically.

Do you have a manual gearbox or a DSG? I contribute most of the improvement to changed DSG shift points.

If you have DSG I would definitely ask for a software update. Don't expect vibrations to go away completely though. If you have a manual I can't say anything. Certainly reporting this under guarantee is a good idea anyways, so VW is aware of issue in statistical terms (the more people report it the better it is for chances of resolution).

If you get your software update please let us know how much it improved etc.

Cheers,

Robert

Hi Rob, thanks for the info. I have DSG (see below). I don't expect the vibrations to go away completely. But any improvement would be very welcome ;).

I will talk to my dealer and post any progress.

Themenstarteram 21. März 2014 um 9:08

Hello again, time for an update!

I am the Original poster Arvidka.

I have been driving the car for another 3000 kilometres, and the annoying vibrations at low revs are still there. Definitely caused by the ACT 2 Zylinder Eco-modus, which is NO success combined with the low rev (untertourigen) DSG programming. After all, who wants to drive in 4th or 5th gear at 35-40 km/S at 1300-1400 RPM and in 2 Zylinder mode?? No one. This MUST bring hard knocking and vibrations from the engine to the whole car. The vibrations are quite bad. I am not sure if the ECU updates of Motor and DSG really helped much, even if my initial impressions were positive.

My daily travels to and from work unfortunately consists of driving in this exact untertourigen mode due to heavy traffic. I always pull the gear lever backwards once to enter Sport mode, and that helps a little.

I love the car in all other respects, but this problem is so annoying that I

have decided to SELL MY GOLF and go back to BMW.

Schade!

Thank you all for contributing to this post! Vielen Dank!

Arvid, Norwegen

am 19. April 2014 um 19:48

Hi Guys,

When I was changing my tires to summer ones, VW informed me there were 2 service actions against my car.

So I visited them 6th of April. They did the following:

- swapped synthetic for mineral oil in the gearbox due to the risk of corrosion and electrical shortcuts in the mechatronic unit

- updated gearbox software and performed adaptation cycle

- updated engine software

- asan extra electronic differential lock and automatic hand brake software was updated.

The result is - VIBRATIONS ARE ALMOST GONE:)

It is still possible to induce them but one need to try a lot to have them. Shuddering only happens when you release accelerator pedal and then REALLY gently push it trying to maintain speed on a flat road. It happens very rarely though. I would consider this mild nuisance - it is not annoying any more.

In most cases ACT doesn't engage or there is an upshift, or the gearbox keeps higher gear.

I highly recommend visiting VW service station if you are experiencing ACT related vibrations.

Before I returned home, I checked if there is a TPI for ACT/2 cylinder mode related shuddering/vibrations - and guess what - there is:) Unfortunately during Easter clean up i trashed the piece of paper with a number, but your friendly VW representative should easily find it.

TPI only contains engine software upgrade, it doesn't mention gearbox upgrade so there is a chance manual gearbox owners can benefit as well!

AFAIR the software was available on-line from week 14th of 2014, so from March 31st.

I need to check with my dealer if they updated my car to the latest engine software during service action, ie. with the one which resolves the problem according to VW as I mentioned above in rare cases vibrations are still there.

Unfortunately irritating 'old camera-like' noise (or plastic zip-tie against bike wheel noise) didn't disappear.

I will be investigating rarely occurring vibrations and the noise on 12th of May as I have a scheduled appointment for a follow up.

I hope Arvida you didn't manage to sell your car yet:)

Happy Easter Guys,

Rob

am 25. April 2014 um 8:10

TPI 2036911/1 for shuddering in 2-cylinder mode.

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von robpl

TPI 2036911/1 for shuddering in 2-cylinder mode.

Hat jemand von Euch ähnliche Probleme mit der Zylinderabschaltung und evtl. diese TPI durchführen lassen?

Wenn ja, hat sich etwas verändert?

Ich habe den A3 1.4 COD probegefahren und fand die Zylinderabschaltung, gerade im Stadtverkehr, sehr unangenehm. Ob der A3 und der Golf gleichermaßen die Zylinder ab- und wieder anschalten weiss ich natürlich nicht.

Viele Grüße,

BB

am 16. Dezember 2014 um 21:08

Hi all,

My name is Mike and im from Denmark.

I have a Golf7 1.4 TSI ACT manual gear with same problems.

But I additional to the vibrations i also have ACT activations between gear shifts - and sometimes ACT doesn't deactivate when shifting gear - see my video of shifting from 3. to 4. With ACT active and only to deactivate going into 5. Gear. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VCpjG_WEBBQ

Have you solved your problems - if yes, how?

VW Denmark say my Engine works fine and there are no errors. Car is produced May 2014.

Mike

Zitat:

@arvidka schrieb am 28. Oktober 2013 um 20:29:33 Uhr:

Hello from Norway! New to the forum. Please excuse me writing in English.

Just bought a Nov`12 Golf 7 140 TSI DSG, and love it! OryxWhite, Discover Pro, Pano, 18"Durbans etc.. the whole lot!

But one problem:

Vibrations and "rumble" in car at certain RPM, like 1400-1500. When driving in congested traffic at 0-30km/the DSG tends to shift to gears very quickly up to 3-4 or even 5 or 6 in Comfort and Normal modes, bringing the RPM very low. This makes the whole car suddenly vibrate rather violently, until I press accellerator or brake. Talked to VAG Norway, waiting for a "fix". Now on winter tires 16" exactly same problem. Seems to come from rear suspension, like a resonance or "standing waves" in the car for a few seconds. Rather scary and uncomfortable, and very noticeable to driver and passengers.

Any suggestions? You may definitely write in Deutsch!

Arvid Ka, Norway

Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but is the only one I found with the problem similar to mine: vibrations (heavy) between 1000-2000 rpm, repetitive, usually on hills more prominent, and also when car is cold. After 5-10km it becomes 'normal'. when it vibrates, it is clear that the engine is being hold on, as the RPM counter goes up in steps after each vibration. I have an TSI golf sportsvan 2016 1.4, no ACT I think.

I am a bit desperate as I took the the garage 3 times, they say they cannot haer anything (as I only hear when leave to work in the morning, during the day after 5-10km it mostly gone.

It looks like VW garage knows the problem, but want to ignore it. The car has 8.000km, it started more promnently after 4-5000km (in the beggining I thoung it was probably the road, and it got worse).

Can you help me out??

Deine Antwort