3. Auto
  4. Volkswagen
  5. Golf
  6. Golf 7
  7. Rumble and Vibrations, Golf7 TSI 140 DSG

Rumble and Vibrations, Golf7 TSI 140 DSG

VW Golf 7 (AU/5G)
Themenstarteram 28. Oktober 2013 um 19:29

Hello from Norway! New to the forum. Please excuse me writing in English.

Just bought a Nov`12 Golf 7 140 TSI DSG, and love it! OryxWhite, Discover Pro, Pano, 18"Durbans etc.. the whole lot!

But one problem:

Vibrations and "rumble" in car at certain RPM, like 1400-1500. When driving in congested traffic at 0-30km/the DSG tends to shift to gears very quickly up to 3-4 or even 5 or 6 in Comfort and Normal modes, bringing the RPM very low. This makes the whole car suddenly vibrate rather violently, until I press accellerator or brake. Talked to VAG Norway, waiting for a "fix". Now on winter tires 16" exactly same problem. Seems to come from rear suspension, like a resonance or "standing waves" in the car for a few seconds. Rather scary and uncomfortable, and very noticeable to driver and passengers.

Any suggestions? You may definitely write in Deutsch!

Arvid Ka, Norway

Beste Antwort im Thema
Themenstarteram 31. Oktober 2013 um 17:09

ACT war Problem!

Had a test drive with VAG/VW dealer today:

The ACT (Zylinder-cut /Eco-mode) was the reason for the vibrations and rumble!

Driving in heavy traffic in the city at speeds around 30-40km/St the RPM would stay around 1400-1500, and the ECO-sign would come on and off. At these low revs the engine has virtually no power, and the vibrations from the assymetric and handicapped engine were VERY noticeable. Happened every time the ECO sign came on - at this RPM. Pushing the brake or accelerator started all four cylinders, eliminating the shaking and vibrations.

According to the dealer this was inevitable with ACT.

Advice: Pulling the DSG gearstick backwards into Sports mode lets the gearbox change into lower gear, raising the RPM to 2000 or more, where the vibrations are hardly noticeable.

I am not very happy with this situation, and would not recommend the ACT option if I had known this.

40 weitere Antworten
Ähnliche Themen
40 Antworten
am 7. November 2013 um 14:07

Hi,

I have the same vibrations at ACT mode.The Problem are more often on normal or comfort mode. I think this behavior was not at the beginning and not by the test car. I have tested especially the ACT mode and was surprised that there was almost no noteable switching to ATC mode. For me this vibrations are not acceptable. I will talk to my dealer next week.

am 7. November 2013 um 14:50

Ich habe von diesem Problem bereits in mehreren Threads berichtet. Gibt es denn auch ACT Fahrer, die in dem Bereich bis 1500 U/min (z.B. Stadtverkehr bei 50 gerade Strecke im 5ten oder 6ten Gang im Zwei-Zylinder-Modus) keine Vibrationen haben? Falls ja, wann wurden die Fahrzeuge gebaut?

Ab 1500 U/min habe ich auch keinerlei Vibrationen, sprich bei Autobahnfahrten merke ich auch nichts... Die Vibrationen, die da sind, habe ich allerdings von Beginn an, deswegen denke ich nicht, dass es ein Defekt ist.

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von cyber81

Ab 1500 U/min habe ich auch keinerlei Vibrationen, sprich bei Autobahnfahrten merke ich auch nichts... Die Vibrationen, die da sind, habe ich allerdings von Beginn an, deswegen denke ich nicht, dass es ein Defekt ist.

Hi,

good to know! Wenn Deine Signatur stimmt können wir ausschließen, dass es irgendetwas mit dem DSG und der vom DSG präferierten Schaltpunkte zu tun hat!

Gruß

Curd

am 7. November 2013 um 17:14

Sie stimmt. Habe nach dem Stress in meinem alten Octavia 2 kein DSG mehr bestellt

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von cyber81

Sie stimmt. Habe nach dem Stress in meinem alten Octavia 2 kein DSG mehr bestellt

Das ist ärgerlich, ich hab es nach positiven Erfahrungen in meinem 2006er Passat B6 wieder bestellt, wobei... der Unterschied zwischen 6-Gang und 7-Gang mir durchaus bewusst ist. Daher Garantieverlängerung (auch wegen ACT um on-topic zu bleiben :)) auf 4 Jahre bis zum Ende der Leasingzeit. :cool:

/Curd

JFTR: Mein Vorführwagen war auch ein Handschalter. Tempo 50, 5. Gang (Schaltempfehlung), 1400rpm und es vibrierte fröhlich vor sich hin. Ich habe es dann mit runterschalten probiert. Im 4. Gang keine Änderung, erst im dritten wurde es besser, da habe ich die Drehzahl jetzt aber nicht mehr im Kopf.

am 8. November 2013 um 7:44

Bin schon mit mehreren ACT Golf gefahren und bisher habe ich keinen ohne Vibrationen in diesem Umdrehungsbereich gehabt. Denke auch, dass es vielen nicht auffällt, da sie einen anderen Fahrstil haben. Als mein Cousin z.B. mit meinem Auto unterwegs war, und ich nur Beifahrer spielen durfte, war nix mit Vibrationen, da er viel später geschaltet hat...

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von CarstenH77

JFTR: Mein Vorführwagen war auch ein Handschalter. Tempo 50, 5. Gang (Schaltempfehlung), 1400rpm und es vibrierte fröhlich vor sich hin. Ich habe es dann mit runterschalten probiert. Im 4. Gang keine Änderung, erst im dritten wurde es besser, da habe ich die Drehzahl jetzt aber nicht mehr im Kopf.

Hi,

I will respond in English, as original post was in English.

I also have 1.4 TSI ACT+DSG.

My observations:

- i have the same rattle/noise, usually around 1400 RPMs

- as far as I recall the rattle wasn't there when the car was new (during run-in in first 2000 km or more) or maybe it was so faint I ignored it (it wasn't irritating at that time)

- ACT certainly engages after driving 200-300 meters on cold engine (i have few sleeping policemen to cross so I can only test it after 300 m)

- ACT works below 1400 RPMs (I think down to 1110-1200 RPMs, then DSG downshifts)

- rattle appears when i put accelerator pedal in a position where my car cruises at constant speed

- the rattle is noticeable in 2 cylinder mode, when the engine switches back to 4 cylinder mode, it looks as it disappears

- higher revs also make it disappear (when DSG downshifts)

- it is pretty easy to reproduce using cruise control, especially in ECO mode

- it is more noticeable/easier to get in ECo mode. In NORMAL mode it is also noticeable but happens a little less frequently due to DSH downshifting. On SPORT is seems better, but it is still there.

- the rattle reminds me of a movie 'projector' like noise as you guys described, vibrations can also be felt (which makes it really irritating, it resembles the vibration made by cars with manual gearboxes driven in high gears at low speeds, before engine is stalled).

-the worst thing is I started hearing it (although without or with a slight vibrations - hard to say) when the engine is in 4 cylinder mode. It is very faint but can be heard when cruising around 70km/h. It is so faint it is not irritating, but still kind of makes this quite engine sound odd. I am quite sure I can hear it (but hardly) when i accelerate.

- no noise or vibrations at higher speeds. ie 120km/h.

- my car was handed off to me early May, but it left factory early April/late March (I queried my dealer about it while waiting for my car)

- my car clocked now 13000 km, the noise/rattle is irritating, but doesn't seem to get any worse (at least for now)

- I also can hear DSG shifts when in low gear (was told it is normal by a dealer), not sure if this is related (some of you guys also mentioned it), especially that it was reported cars with manual gearbox have it as well

- I rarely drive as a passenger, but I noticed the nose is less noticeable from passenger seat. My father had problems realizing there is a problem, also VW technician had the same issue.

So because I still hear the noise there may be two reasons:

- ACT is involved (like rattling part, which rattles worse in 2 cylinder mode)

- something else is causing the issue, engine vibrating more in ACT mode makes things worse. There were some issues with some TSI engines and rattling waste gate actuator. Extra vibrations from ACT could make this worse. Also maybe there is some problems with handling vibrations between the engine and the gear box etc. I wouldn't rule out DSG yet.

- I am delusional:P

i find this noise unacceptable and will demand fixing it.

I reported it to my dealer, they asked me to wait until they get answers from VW. I will apply some pressure to them on Saturday, as I will be visiting them due to failed map update for Discover Pro (updated was stalled at 96% and never resumed (July 2013 update)). I will ask them to perform ECU/gearbox software updates if possible.

Hopefully it is only a software issue (ie. raising downshift point to higher values etc.).

Guys, can you respond with your car manufacture/delivery dates and if you have ACT problems (some cars do not have it due to some factor like software update/mechanical change) ??

Also people with the problem, can you make sure it gets reported to VW?

Cheers,

Robert

Themenstarteram 15. November 2013 um 12:21

Problem much improved after Motor and DSG software update!!!

First of all, thank you so much "robpl" for your extensive answer. Seems you have the same problems with rumbling and shaking and vibrations in you car, just like mine, where it feels like you get "standing waves" and rumble at very low RPMs - like 1400-1500.

As promised I will return with my experiences: Had the car checked at another VAG dealer locally, and they agreed I had a problem, after taking a first test drive.

So they agreed to upgrade motor and DSG software to newest versions. It was the only solution they could think of, and agreed it would be a good idea.

They even telephoned the main importer in Oslo to get guidance and other possible fixes to the problem.

It was yesterday updated to latest Motor and DSG software, free of charge.

I am happy to say my problem is much improved!!! I am a happy man. Took a long test drive, cruising along at low revs using the cruise control on a quiet side road, and even though there is still some vibrations, my problem is much improved! It is now hardly noticeable in normal driving situations.

Therefore I would recommend everyone suffering from this vibration/rumble to check with your dealer and possibly have this update performed. Since my car is a November 2012 model, probably running on original Motor/DSG software from that date, it seems VAG/VW have recognized the problem and made improvements in subsequent software updates.

Thanks to all for your replies! Very helpful. I read German well, but hesitate to write in German. I certainly enjoy this forum very much.

By the way: Just finished updating my map for DiscoverPro, from www.navigation.com. Took me a few days to download using Firefox and "DownThemAll" download manager, almost 17Gb, then unzipped using 7-Zip to 32Gb SD card in card reader. Parked the car, put the ignition on, using a battery charger just to make sure, and the update in the car took almost two hours, ending with success. I now have version 0078ECE 2014, working properly. Yeaahh!

Still need to update my DiscoverPro computer from 0095 to 0200 - the dealer did not have the latest version availiable. Have to rebook in a few weeks time.

Best wishes from Norway

Arvid

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von arvidka

Problem much improved after Motor and DSG software update!!!

First of all, thank you so much "robpl" for your extensive answer. Seems you have the same problems with rumbling and shaking and vibrations in you car, just like mine, where it feels like you get "standing waves" and rumble at very low RPMs - like 1400-1500.

As promised I will return with my experiences: Had the car checked at another VAG dealer locally, and they agreed I had a problem, after taking a first test drive.

So they agreed to upgrade motor and DSG software to newest versions. It was the only solution they could think of, and agreed it would be a good idea.

They even telephoned the main importer in Oslo to get guidance and other possible fixes to the problem.

It was yesterday updated to latest Motor and DSG software, free of charge.

I am happy to say my problem is much improved!!! I am a happy man. Took a long test drive, cruising along at low revs using the cruise control on a quiet side road, and even though there is still some vibrations, my problem is much improved! It is now hardly noticeable in normal driving situations.

Therefore I would recommend everyone suffering from this vibration/rumble to check with your dealer and possibly have this update performed. Since my car is a November 2012 model, probably running on original Motor/DSG software from that date, it seems VAG/VW have recognized the problem and made improvements in subsequent software updates.

Thanks to all for your replies! Very helpful. I read German well, but hesitate to write in German. I certainly enjoy this forum very much.

By the way: Just finished updating my map for DiscoverPro, from www.navigation.com. Took me a few days to download using Firefox and "DownThemAll" download manager, almost 17Gb, then unzipped using 7-Zip to 32Gb SD card in card reader. Parked the car, put the ignition on, using a battery charger just to make sure, and the update in the car took almost two hours, ending with success. I now have version 0078ECE 2014, working properly. Yeaahh!

Still need to update my DiscoverPro computer from 0095 to 0200 - the dealer did not have the latest version availiable. Have to rebook in a few weeks time.

Best wishes from Norway

Arvid

Hi Arvid,

I have the same problems. Did you know the Software Versions of the Updates?

Best Regards

Heino

Themenstarteram 15. November 2013 um 13:17

Hi!

No, sorry, I don't know the specific versions by name/number, but they were "the latest updates" that my dealer had.

Good luck!

Hi Arvid,

Thanks for an upgrade and a hope for the resolution. My Golf will visit VW workshop tomorrow for a navigation module replacement, I will try to ask for ECU/DSG software upgrade.

Is there a way you can call your dealer and ask him about the version they applied to your car?

My worry is my workshop in Poland may not yet have it and I want to be sure these guys ask for correct one.

I will report my findings as well (including asking dealer about the version).

Can you also check if after driving some km the symptoms do not reappear. Usually when ECU software is updated all settings (including al self-learned data ) are reset. Some of my symptoms were lighter for a certain distance last time ECU reset was performed (during navigation module repair attempt - it was stuck on a map update and become nonfunctional, including voice recognition and to an extens sign recognition).

Also make sure you update Nav software to 200, as I suspect my version (not sure which one right now as i can't only access it from manu from time to time due to the failure, I think it was 095) caused map update to fail and basically forced me to replace the module under guarantee.

Cheers,

Robert

Mein TSI 140 ACT DSG vibriert inzwischen auch und öttelt dann teilweise mit deutlich weniger als 1.400 U/min im 2-Zylinder-Modus herum.

Der Wagen ist MJ 2014 und wurde am 31.5.2013 gebaut. Falls es einem hier weiterhilft, anbei ein Ausschnitt einer VCDS-Logdatei. Sind 5768 und 4507 der Softwarestand?

Adresse 01: Motorelektronik (J623-CPTA) Labeldatei: 04E-907-309-V1.clb

Teilenummer SW: 04E 906 016 AD HW: 04E 907 309 G

Bauteil: 1,4l R4 TSI H02 5758

Revision: WKH02---

Codierung: 0125003A236405083000

Betriebsnr.: WSC 01357 011 00200

ASAM Datensatz: EV_ECM14TFS01104E906016AD 002007

ROD: EV_ECM14TFS01104E906016AD.rod

VCID: 64E208586F13993E10B-8031

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adresse 02: Getriebe (J743) Labeldatei: MFT\0CW-927-769.clb

Teilenummer SW: 0CW 300 045 HW: 0AM 927 769 G

Bauteil: GSG DQ200-MQB H43 4507

Revision: 00043014 Seriennummer: CU501305025448

Codierung: 0014

Betriebsnr.: WSC 01357 011 00200

ASAM Datensatz: EV_TCMDQ200021 001001

ROD: EV_TCMDQ200021.rod

VCID: F6C6C210498F9BAE3EF-80A3

am 16. November 2013 um 14:47

Wie bereits geschildert vibriert meiner auch im genannten Drehzahlbereich, aber ich habe einen Handschalter. GIbt es da u.U. auch ein Softwareupdate für das Motormanagement? Ein DSG-Softwareupdate würde mir ja nichts bringen...

am 6. März 2014 um 22:26

Hi Guys,

I test drove new MJ Golf 1.4 TSI with ACT:

- it had 500 km on the clock

- vibrations were there but were less severe than in my Golf. It was like driving a car with manual gearbox and running with low revs. Kind of acceptable.

- I was unable to hear any noise, ie. movie camera noise/rattle was non present or very faint. If my Golf had this level of noise I wouldn't be complaining.

So I managed to put some pressure on my dealer and my ECU got new software update.

- there is much improvement as arvidka said, but the problem persists (slightly irritating now vs very irritating before)

- vibrations are gone for most of speed/slope combinations (50km/h and 60km/h seem vibration free+only a faint noise)

- vibrations are present for some speeds/slope combinations but are much more acceptable

- there are still some speeds where vibrations are really noticeable, rattle becomes pretty noisy (this would be between 30-40 km/h and around 54-55km/h), maybe a little smaller than before

- camera noise is very faint, but can be noisy when vibrations are noticeable

- ACT engages at lower speeds than before and no rattle??? weird?

- software was updated from version 5 to version 6 (latest available to the dealer in Poland) - whatever it means

- unsure if I got DSG upgrade, nobody told me i got any so I would assume no, but there are some changes to gearbox shifting points:

- gearbox seems to keep the car in higher gear = when it upshifts revs are usually also higher (2000 in lower gear and 1.5 in higher gear)

- gear box behaves in more natural way than before

- generally engine seems quieter (this may be just an impression, due to less amount of movie camera noise and vibrations)

- engine consumes less fuel than in the same conditions/same routes (I need to verify consumption at gas station, as the dealer was also adjusting my average l/100km, which was always 0.2 off real usage. I have a feeling it is 0.4l/100km off now:P )

- I have no jerk when lifting off (previously, when auto-start stop engaged it was hard to smoothly lift off in some cases, not it looks like it is gone or maybe I am lucky). Need to investigate this further.

I suspect vibrations can cause this guy to rattle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFx5b7nXn5U

In my golf this part (I assume wastegate actuator) is not that loose, but can rattle.

I hope above helps with the problems you guys are having.

Cheers,

Robert

Deine Antwort