1. Startseite
  2. Forum
  3. Auto
  4. BMW
  5. Discussion about American made automobile

Discussion about American made automobile

Themenstarteram 13. März 2006 um 11:48

Hi guys,

I hope you are having a great day today.

Unfortunatelly, I do not speak German, nor write and read.

I want to ask you guys a serious question; why do American made automobiles do not sell well?

I have lived in the U.S. for over 8 years... and what I have been witnessing was, many of the Americans themselves buy foreign cars, such as Toyotas or BMWs. And that also means that they do not find the American made cars attracting.

What makes the American made cars unattractive? Is it the quality? The design? Or the reliability of the engine?

Please tell me as many factors you know as possible... I really want to know about the truth.

thanx

Danke

Ähnliche Themen
9 Antworten

Hi,

I think one of the main problems is that the US cars is need much more fuel as the foreign ones. OK in USA you will pay may bit more than 1,20 $ per gallon, is seems not really expensive if you take into account that in Germany you will pay up to 1,30 EUR per litre it is really cheap, however on the other hand there are a lot of people who can not afford also such “cheap” pricing.

The other reason may be the quality, for example the Japanese cars are really long living ones. Also the costs for a Foreign car are much lover that for a US car when you buy a new ones.

In fact, American made automobiles do sell very well. German and Japanese automakers are ramping up production in their booming American factories.

Whereas automobiles made by Ford an GM aren't selling due to management failures. Ford and GM believed car sales to be unimportant and relied on gas-guzzling trucks. Their share of the car sales market eroded in recent years because GM and Ford did nothing to compete with new, attrative and technically advanced models from Germany and Japan. Nothing? Well, they slashed prices, but selling old if not even crappy cars at discount prices means destroying a brand.

"Who cares?" GM and Ford thought, as the decline was offset by profits in the booming truck market. Well, with oil prices soaring the consumer cares.

If you look at the figures, Chryler cars aren't selling that bad. Chrysler invested heavily in new models (cars, not trucks!) and now capital spending is paying out.

Re: Discussion about American made automobile

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von davegesprek

What makes the American made cars unattractive? Is it the quality? The design? Or the reliability of the engine?

Almost everything of that ;)

One of the main reasons, for me, is the difference between american and german prices for american cars.

For example:

The Chrysler 300 is starting at $24.350

In Germany you have to pay at least € 40,200

With regard to the quality american pricing is o.k., I think ;)

Sincerely yours

Martin

Zitat:

davegesprek

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von Bleifußindianer

If you look at the figures, Chryler cars aren't selling that bad. Chrysler invested heavily in new models (cars, not trucks!) and now capital spending is paying out.

Well I love many American cars ( Viper, Ford Mustang, Camaro SS,etc.)

So I think the main reasons are the price, quality and the engines.

As you can see, Chrysler is using in their new cars, the old engines of Mercedes Benz. For example, the Crossfire is using the old 218HP 3.2 litre engine, just because the engines before needed to much fuel and did not have the power like the Mercedes engine, so its an advance of using "old" engines. for chrysler.

Furthermore, many American cars are looking "cheap" in the interior. And if you have to pay 40.000€ for an American car here in Germany, you expect leather and a high quality. But theres no proof of high quality, so the most people buy BMW, Audi or Mercedes.

Best wishes

amorican engineer are not so good as german

americans built a sport vehicle like that put a truck engine big block in a car 30L/100Km who cares...

i think it's quite easy.

american cars aren't on the same level with german ones especially the 4 great ones BMW, Merceds, Audi, Volkswagen if you consider design, technology, reliability and reputation of the brands.

to drive a "German" as an american means to be different, not having to drive such an unattracting car like chrysler or gm

summing up. im sure we build the best cars in the world and if japans, americans, french or chinese reach our level or overtook us it will be a long long term :D

am 23. März 2006 um 19:48

In my opinion it´s mostly the interior design that gives most of the American Cars that slightly cheap touch.

Even the Corvette has a really cheap looking Plastic thing in it, which some may call "dashboard"

Then there´s the idiocy that the best American Cars are not sold in germany and many other countries, i´m especially sad about the the new Dodge Magnum R/T not being sold here.

Those cars would (if there´s a realistic Price Tag on them') not only sell here, they would also create an Image that´s diffrent from the current one, in which american cars are slow, heavy and just no fun to drive.

Not to mention the Problems you get when trying to sell an american car in germany.

A major problem of most american Cars is the lack of any technical inovation. 40 years ago american cars were setting trends in Styling and Equiqment, today they are just going to copy things invented and introduced by the japanese or germans.

The Styling is to extreme. On some cars it´s extremly conservative, not to say damn boring, on other cars it´s extremly trendy (Chevy SSR for instance), but that´s toooo trendy if you want it to sell for more than two years, cause nothing gets older any quicker than trendy styling.

The Mustang sell´s very good and is a quiete good car for sure, but it also shows that the Americans don´t have anymore styling ideas for future Design.

And that´s the Problem, the germans and japanese guys set the trends nowadays, and the american car industry looks like it´s lost in Retro Stuff.

And that very sad cause as the Vette Z06 and "my love" Dodge Magnum RT show they can build very very good cars, but it´s just a very fast car, inovations?? negativ!

My opinion to this:

1. fuel consumption to high

2. cylinder capacity to big, so the car tax is very high

3. engine technology antiquated

4. it exists not really a car-dealer net here (repair/service/parts)

4. XXL-size from many car´s, not popular here

5. sport setup from US-Cars still feels as when you drive a ship

6. the color combination from imported US-Cars are horrible, the interior is very often to bright (grey plastic and beige leather)

I would not like to say all US Cars are bad, but they are only produce cars for their own taste.

am 30. März 2006 um 0:38

there's nothing to add for me.

Deine Antwort