3. Auto
  4. Mercedes
  5. E-Klasse
  6. W211
  7. P0172 The mixture is too lean in the partial load range

P0172 The mixture is too lean in the partial load range

Mercedes E-Klasse W211
Themenstarteram 18. April 2021 um 19:33

Hello everyone. Sorry for speaking english (i can also a little bit Deutsch :) ) I am a newcomer in Stuttgart and i just bought a Mercedes w211 E200 Kompressor 184 PS.

The car is in a very good condition with 136.000 km (laut Mercedes). When i bought it the battery was dead because the car was in garage for 1 year. Anyway, we started the car with some cables and it starts ok every day. I was in the Werkstatt last week, changed the engine Oil, Differential oil, filters, Thermostat, cleaned the Flawmeter (LMM) and the Boost sensor, changed all the Kurbelgehauseentluftung (bought at Mercedes), and also the intake manifold seals (also bought at Mercedes).

I am a little sick about cars and i bought an OBD adapter from AUTEL AP200. I scaned the car and i find an error everytime i scan it. It shows:

"201c-2.

Self-adaptation of the mixture formation, The mixture is too lean in the partial load range. [P0172]"

Normally there is no Check engine light. Only once when i was driving in town (because i bought this car only for long trips) came the check engine light, i scaned it again and the same Trouble code was shown.

The car starts normally, i think it has enough power as it goes 220 kmh in Autobahn, but i think the consumption is a little bit high. I went from Stuttgart to Zurich (200km) at the consumption was 8 l/100 km. I was driving only with Tempomat 120 kmh.

Something strange that i see in the car, is that when i start it cold in the morning, i leave it 4 minutes or 5 warming up, in idle it makes only once a misfire. It makes that even when i drive it cold and i stop in the "Ampel" and switch from D to N (i always switch to N when i am waiting in the traffic lights).

I have also made an adaptation (learning) of the Automatik Transmission and Drosselklappe. The change was huge because the consumption went from 9 liters to 8 and the car was accelerating faster than before.

Does anyone of you know what the problem here is? I asked at Mercedes about that and they told me that could be a lot of thing and parts to change but i dont have so much money to pay Mercedes.

I always fill at ARAL ULTIMATE 102 or at least at SHELL V-POWER RACING 100.

Ähnliche Themen
19 Antworten

Lean codes -> Check for a unmetered air.

Th best advice for that check is to use a smoke tester (I made my own with Home Depot parts for $15) or for a quick and dirty solution you can use brake cleaner and spray it alongside the cylinder head where the gaskets are as well as where all the crankcase breather hoses are. If there is a leak the engine will shake a bit, the rpm drops for a second or two or can even stall if the leak is so big and enough brake cleaner went in that the fuel air ratio is so off. If you never tried it just spray a burst of brake cleaner right into the air filter box and you will hear and see the result a second later. Then wait for a few seconds and start your test.

You stated you replace all those crankcase breather hoses. Make sure they are all back on and tight and not ripped somewhere. You also worked on the throttle body. Make sure the hose is back in. Sometimes people forget to put it back on or don’t push it all the way onto the nipple and it gets pulled off.

If you can’t find the issue I can recommend you someone in Stuttgart who might be willing to help you but he’s not doing this type of work for free either. Just saying.

Themenstarteram 18. April 2021 um 20:25

Mackhack

Thank you buddy for your fast answer in my thread.

I will do the test with brake cleaner. It seems a great idea really. I know how it sounds because i made in other cars Drosselklappereinigung with Liqui Moly and it stalls everytime you spray cleaner in it.

Just want to say that the old crankcase breather hoses were 100% like new also, no tears or anything.

To the throttle body i just made a new adaptation without touching it. The adaptation made a big change in the way the car responds to gas pedal and the way it changes gears.

Anyway, i will try your suggestions at weekend and i will share with you everything.

Thanks for your helpful answers. Bye

Themenstarteram 19. April 2021 um 5:15

Zitat:

@Mackhack schrieb am 18. April 2021 um 22:05:37 Uhr:

Lean codes -> Check for a unmetered air.

Th best advice for that check is to use a smoke tester (I made my own with Home Depot parts for $15) or for a quick and dirty solution you can use brake cleaner and spray it alongside the cylinder head where the gaskets are as well as where all the crankcase breather hoses are. If there is a leak the engine will shake a bit, the rpm drops for a second or two or can even stall if the leak is so big and enough brake cleaner went in that the fuel air ratio is so off. If you never tried it just spray a burst of brake cleaner right into the air filter box and you will hear and see the result a second later. Then wait for a few seconds and start your test.

You stated you replace all those crankcase breather hoses. Make sure they are all back on and tight and not ripped somewhere. You also worked on the throttle body. Make sure the hose is back in. Sometimes people forget to put it back on or don’t push it all the way onto the nipple and it gets pulled off.

If you can’t find the issue I can recommend you someone in Stuttgart who might be willing to help you but he’s not doing this type of work for free either. Just saying.

Just want to add something. When i look at the live data in Autel AP200, i see that the self adaptation in idle (leerlauf) is not as it should be. That’s why it is marked in red. See the picture

Asset.PNG.jpg
Themenstarteram 24. Juli 2021 um 18:29

Update: Just changed the Lambdasonte vor Kat. Brand New Bosch. The same problems comes on. MKL comes again and the same Problem P0172. I also made a new “Anpassen) with computer for all the systems like Transmission, Throttle body, Lambda, Self adaptation, Mixture values, and they made a big difference. The car was accelerating very well and powerful, consumption eas droped more than 1 liter less, transmission was changing gears perfectly etc. But after 1 hour the car was still the same like before. Lazy, thirsty etc. I am hating this car right now.

Can someone help me with a solution?

Thanks in advance

It’s almost never the O2 sensors just because the fault code might say so. But I told you so a long time ago. Wasted time and money for nothing unfortunately.

Das kann ja vieles sein, schläuche haben ein Loch irgendwo, Lambda wurde schon getauscht, Öl im Kabelbaum, Steckverbindungen defekt etc.

Hat er das alles geschrieben? Habe nicht alles verstanden. Aber ich versuche es mal anders. Multitulti language!!

Shoki, shkruj Machhack ni mesazh dhe ta jep adresen per me ndreq kerrin ne Stuttgart, veq pa pare nuk ta kap kerkush ne dorë.

Ose ne qoft se ki munxi me shku ne Peje, te Ademi Service Peje/Loxh, aty e kan munxin me ta bërë kerrin fisllim! Knaqesh pak ne Kosov edhe e ki kerrin pa probleme per njo 20 vjet!

Klm

Unë mendoj se kjo është një ide e mirë.

am 24. Juli 2021 um 22:56

??? Wird immer krasser hier. :D

Ich hatte doch nur drei Bier :confused: :D

@Mackhack perfekt

Zitat:

@Andinity schrieb am 25. Juli 2021 um 01:29:41 Uhr:

Das schlimme ist, ich hatte nur ein Bier und einen Ouzo :D

Zitat:

@chruetters schrieb am 25. Juli 2021 um 08:10:55 Uhr:

Zitat:

@Andinity schrieb am 25. Juli 2021 um 01:29:41 Uhr:

Das schlimme ist, ich hatte nur ein Bier und einen Ouzo :D

Stimmt. Das ist ne Frechheit. Nur einen Ouzo? Was ist das für ein griechischer Wirt?!?

Themenstarteram 26. Juli 2021 um 5:35

No oil in cables. No oil in Lambda beofre and after Kat. All hoses were changed. The old ones were also new. Bought also Oil stop cables. Two Magnets also changed.

Now the last month it makes a strange noise that comes and goes when it is warm. You can hear it only when stoped. No marrer if you are at D or N or with clima on or off.

I dont want to fix my car for free bcs as you see i have spent so much money on it. I want to hear your experiences maybe someone had the same problem and fixed it. I have been in a lot of Werkstatts here and the best thing they do is to give you a Invoice as soon as possible. Not fixing the car.

Are you not reading what I suggested to you or do you not comprehend what I wrote?

Deine Antwort