ForumUS Cars
  1. Startseite
  2. Forum
  3. Auto
  4. US Cars
  5. import taxes and registration fees

import taxes and registration fees

Themenstarteram 3. August 2007 um 15:01

Sorry for the English, my German is not so good.

I am looking at a 2006 US-car in Germany with American registration near Nuremberg. The car belongs to a US-soldier. I am having trouble finding a company/person near Nuremberg that can help me make the car street legal in Germany, and to tell me what the costs are.

1. The custom part is 10% but what are the taxes (15-19%)???

2. Rebuild costs for German/EU standard

3. Exhaust/Abgas certificate

4. German registration.

There "must" be a company near Nuremberg, or anywhere, that can do this for me, can anobody help me? Can anybody estimate above costs? I would very much appreciate an answer from someone who has done this before, aöll over Germany!

/Tummen

Ähnliche Themen
17 Antworten

Custom 10% for cars

Then 19% tax after custom price.

Rebuild costs are about 1500-2500 Euro

You can contact the guys at www.uscars24.de one of the big player in this business. I guess, this company can do the paperwork for you. Then, you need only a simple repairshop at Nürnberg for some electrical work. Mostly your car need other frontlights and some work on the signal lights. What kind of car we talking about? Make, model and year?

Hope this will help you. Good luck!

am 3. August 2007 um 17:30

Try this...

Big Block Production

Mike Löwel

Lichtenfelser str.6

90427 Nürnberg

0911 - 3470222

Themenstarteram 4. August 2007 um 21:47

Thanks for the input! I've contacted ucars24, and they seem very serious, although a bit far away from Nürnberg. Mike Löwel was a nice guy but could not help me with my car a it is to new. He works mailny with clasic mucle cars he told me. He did tell me about BAT (Baumann Auto Technik) in Nürnberg. I've not gotten a respone from him as of yet. Does anyone have any experience with BAT? (www.bat-chevrolet.de/)

/tummen

tummen, what kind of car are you talking about? Giving us manufacturer and model could make things easier.

Hendrik

Themenstarteram 6. August 2007 um 19:19

oh, I'm sorry. There are a few cars that I am interested in. he same owner/import conditions apply to all of them actually. There is a Pontiac GTO, a Chevrolet Trailblazer, and a Mustang. The one I believe in is the Mustang, but the GTO is nice!

Allright, I think a Mustang won't be a problem since they are offered new by several car import companys. Have a look at www.mobile.de, www.autoscout24.de or www.dr-mustang.de to find to find a dealer offering new Mustangs near you to do the conversion.

Concerning the GTO I would consider looking all over Germany. Check out Auto Mandt:

http://www.auto-mandt.com/content-6-homologation.html

However, any US car garage (near Nuernberg) should be able to do the conversion for german registration: I suggest they do the hardware work and order all the certificates from uscars24.com, Auto Mandt or others.

Hendrik

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von redmex

However, any US car garage (near Nuernberg) should be able to do the conversion for german registration: I suggest they do the hardware work and order all the certificates from uscars24.com, Auto Mandt or others.

Hendrik

Yes, that is exactly what I mean in my post. US Cars 24, should do all the paperwork for you. They don't need your car for this job. Send all the paper to this company and they will do the job. The "hardware" part of this whole job, is the easier part imho. Every good mechanic can do this for you. The paperwork with all certificates, expertise, connections and and and is the difficult part. Only a professional, can do this for a reasonable price.

Themenstarteram 7. August 2007 um 20:45

Internet! What did you do before?

Right now the GTO is the favourite, and I will contact the mentioned companies tomorrow. I will be in touch. Thanks!

Themenstarteram 9. August 2007 um 12:16

I contacted Auto Mandt.

"As the GTO is a 2006 it needs a Euro 4 certificate" (see the link redmex posted).

For a 2006 GTO at least they could not help me as it was not listed. What is the problem really? I see ads for 2006 GTO:s all over? The Mustang was no problem?

So in short: what is the deal with these certiificates? Are they purchased from GM/FORD? Can I get one myself? Do I have to test the car to get a certificate? Does that the certificate is not on Auto Mandts list mean that He does not have it, or does it mean that there is no such certificate in Germany? I am pusseled on how this works as you see.

Help? Any one?

/Tummen

Hi Tummen,

welcome in the real world, welcome in Germany :(

For the GTO from 2006, I don't found ads for GTO's with german papers. Only one GTO is offered on www.mobile.de who is located in Germany. And this car don't have a valid registration. The other one is offered from a foreign seller.

I guess, the master problem is the emission certificate. For this paper, the car must pass a special road simulation on a dyno. All emissions were measured and controlled. If the emissions pass the Euro4 definition, you get your certificate. But, this test can cost you 4000 and up Euro. This test is done by different companys like TÜV, DEKRA.... I don't kidding you! And now, you know the reason, why this papers are really expensive. You have a 2006 GTO? And your friend have a 2006 GTO? Cool, you think, I can use the certificate from my buddy........But STOP, this cars must be identic in all options! Same axle, engine, tranny........if you have a different one, you need a new certificate.

Only the big players like US CArs 24, Auto Mandt invest a lot of money in this certificates. And everyone that need this, must pay for it.

The second certificate you need is a simple datasheet. This describe the car in all physical dimensions. Weight, mass, lenght........

I guess, if Auto Mandt or US Cars 24 tells you, a certificate for a 2006 GTO is n.a., your chance is really bad to get this hot paper.

Cars have to fullfill emission laws to be street legal. But these laws aren't the same in the US and EU. The US have a different test, that is why US certificates aren't accepted in the EU.

For every kind of car which is not imported by GM / Ford itself, someone (like Auto Mandt or any interested individual) has to make this test to get a certificate. This costs about You cannot purchase them from GM/Ford. If Auto Mandt doesn't have it, it doesn't mean that there is no certificate. There might be a small US car import company which already did it. The difficulty is to find it, if it exists, like you already realized.

The Mustang won't be a problem, because it is sold in pretty "big" number over here, compared to a GTO. It seems to be that there is a Euro3 certificate only, but no Euro4 right now (for a GTO).

However, give these a try:

Geiger Cars in Munich:

http://www.geigercars.de/pontiac/default.aspx

LBG-US-CARS (in Luxemburg)

They offer a new GTO with Euro4: GTO 06

By the way tummen, where are you from?

Hendrik

Themenstarteram 9. August 2007 um 15:03

I live near Stockholm Sweden. (Born and raised!)

The market for classic US-cars is very big here, and there are importers everywhere! With the newer cars it is almost as good, but there are not enough cars available to create a sound market price, and therefore I am looking at the larger European market. Another advantage is that the import tax in Sweden is 25%, and that a car bought in Germany with german registration is just 1000-1800 km away, an easy 1 day drive! That beats waiting 2 months for a US import car.

Thanks a lot for your replys to my questions! I think I am starting to get a grip on things now, and realize what advantage there is to use a proffessional rather than trying to do it yourself.

What you are saying is, I must find an importer/company that owns the proper certificate and use him, right? Ok, no worries, I'll get right on it!

/Tummen

You are very welcome with any questions!

Allright, so it's cheaper for you to have the car registered in Germany first, and then have it driven to Sweden?

When you are looking for classic cars too have a look in the Netherlands. If I got it right there are no customs on classic cars, and tax is only 6%.

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von tummen

What you are saying is, I must find an importer/company that owns the proper certificate and use him, right? Ok, no worries, I'll get right on it!

Yes, but most of them will sell the certificate. So it is possible to do the hardware work yourself (switch park lights in the front from yellow to white, switch red rear turn signals from red to yellow and install a fuse). However, the emission certificate is only one of many needed. You also need a certificate for brakes and one for headlights too (if you don't want to convert them from SAE to ECE) as far as I know.

Ordering an all inclusive package from an importer makes it much more easy and saves time, but is often more expensive.

Hendrik

Deine Antwort