2. Forum
  3. Auto
  4. Hyundai
  5. i10, i20, ix20, Atos, Bayon & Getz
  6. 2014 hyundai i10

2014 hyundai i10

Hyundai i10 2 (IA)
Themenstarteram 20. November 2013 um 13:54

Hyundai Motor is set to build on its success achieved in the A-segment with the new Hyundai i10, a model designed, engineered and manufactured in Europe, for European buyers.

Posted Image

The new model both enhances Hyundai Motor's 'made-for-Europe' product line-up and introduces new standards to the region's A-segment, bringing class-leading space, levels of comfort and safety from the segment above, and sophisticated exterior and interior design.

Posted Image

As well as sales, first generation i10 won numerous awards across Europe, most recently being named 'Best city car less than £9000' at the What Car? Car of the Year 2013 awards (UK), and generated loyalty rates above the segment average - 54% in the five biggest European markets compared to the segment average of 48%.

Another evolution over original i10 is the introduction of what Hyundai Motor calls 'true value' - the addition of desirable features from segments above and emotional qualities such as dynamic styling to existing rational features such as high quality and high efficiency. Exemplified by models such as i30 and ix35, true value is now integral to the appeal of i10.

Hyundai i10 is another example of Hyundai Motor's commitment to European customers. It has been designed and engineered at the Hyundai Motor Europe Technical Centre (HME TC) in Rüsselsheim, Germany, and is, for the first time, manufactured in the region, at the company's recently-expanded plant in Ízmit, Turkey.

Hyundai i10 (2014)

2014 Hyundai i10

Influenced by Hyundai Motor's design philosophy, fluidic sculpture, i10 features sleek and substantial lines that emphasise the naturally athletic stance of a model which is longer, wider and lower than its predecessor.

The new proportions are mirrored by a driving experience that has been developed to meet European preferences. Relocated and retuned components result in greater body and wheel control, delivering more driver involvement and ride comfort comparable to that of cars from higher segments.

The larger bodyshell of i10 yields one of the roomiest occupant cabins on the market, as well as a best-in-class 252 litres of trunk capacity. Up to 1046 litres becomes available when the rear seats are folded - also a best-in-class figure. New levels of craftsmanship can be found in the spacious interior, together with levels of comfort and safety equipment commonly only found in segments above.

Demonstrating Hyundai Motor's confidence in its European build quality, the i10 will come with the company's Five Year Unlimited Mileage Warranty. The industry-best package also includes five years of roadside assistance and five years of vehicle health checks - which are offered across Europe for the first time on an A-segment Hyundai model.

STYLING & DESIGN

The importance of design to the success of i10 was not underestimated by Hyundai Motor; design is currently the number one reason European customers choose to buy the company's vehicles in any segment, with 31% citing it as their primary purchase consideration (versus an industry average of 29%). i10 therefore offers European consumers Hyundai Motor's latest interpretation of the company's fluidic sculpture design philosophy.

In customer clinics conducted in Italy and the UK, i10 received the best spontaneous reaction from participants versus its key segment rivals. When the car's brand was revealed, participants' appetite for the vehicle increased by as much as 12%, indicating further change in European customers' perception of Hyundai Motor and reinforcing company's reputation as the producer of eye-catching vehicles.

i10 is a true European car - it was designed and engineered from the ground up at Hyundai Motor's European R&D centre, HME TC, at Rüsselsheim, Germany, for European buyers.

The injection of European style is matched to practicality-enhancing dimensions. At 3665 millimetres (mm), i10 is 80 mm longer than its predecessor, and the longest car in the segment. Likewise, i10 goes from being the narrowest model in the A-segment to the widest at 1660 mm (+ 65 mm).

A 40 mm lowered roofline, now standing at 1500 mm, yields an athletic on-the-road stance. This is complemented by the sleek proportions of the bodyshell, in turn highlighted by the sharper belt line and side belt moulding.

Hyundai i10 has one of the most practical and spacious cabins in the sector. Innovative interior packaging gives way to segment-best trunk volume (252 litres with rear seats in place and 1046 litres with rear seats folded) and combined front and rear legroom (1890 mm).

A shallower windscreen and A-pillars offer drivers a perceivably larger field of vision, making exiting blind turns safer and manoeuvring in tight city spaces easier. Customer clinic participants cited visibility as an area where i10 particularly impressed.

The new, sleeker exterior design has a drag coefficient (Cd) of just 0,31 - the lowest in the segment - which is aided by detailed improvements such as windscreen sealing that does not protrude into the airstream. The aerodynamic shape reduces wind noise as well as fuel consumption, contributing to noise levels that are lower than those of key rivals.

i10 will be offered in a range of 11 vibrant exterior colours available in solid, metallic and pearl finishes. The solid colour range comprises Baby Elephant (grey), Morning Glory (blue) and Pure White, while the metallic range is made up of Sleek Silver, Star Dust (grey), Sweet Orange and Montano Sky (blue). The design team has matched four pearl colours to the distinctive new shape of i10: Phantom Black, Red Passion, Wine Red and Silky Beige. Individual markets will tailor the colour palettes to best suit local preferences.

Inside, the i10 offers a broader choice of seat trim options than previously seen. Base models come with a combination of cloth and vinyl in beige and black. Mid-specification models have tricot cloth in blue or orange with woven side panels in black. Premium models are similarly equipped, but also offer the option of woven pattered cloth in red with black leather-like side panels.

A major contributor to the premium feel of the interior of i10 is the coloured inlay that runs the full width of the dashboard, emphasising the available space. The trim is available in four colours - red (high-level trim only), calming blue, vibrant orange or refined beige (exclusive for entry-level trim) - and is mirrored by the gear lever surround and lower sections of the front doors.

COMFORT & CONVENIENCE

Hyundai i10, now one of the largest models in the A-segment, offers a greater number of comfort features and additional space for a more pleasurable environment for all occupants.

First, the enlarged wheelbase of i10 (up 5 mm to 2385 mm) allows for a longer, wider bodyshell, which gives way to one of the roomiest cabins in its class. Further cabin space has been created by moving the car's gearbox forward by 25 mm.

Front seat occupants can enjoy 40 mm more legroom, which stands at a best-in-class 1070 mm, as well as 16 mm additional shoulder room (1306 mm) and a generous 1008 mm of headroom.

Trunk capacity is boosted by 12% to a class-leading 252 litres (a 27-litre increase over its predecessor), easily accessed by a tailgate that opens to within just 724 mm of the ground. The rear seats fold 60:40, yielding a useful 1046 litres of storage space, accessed by one of the widest trunk openings (920 mm) in the A-segment. Uniquely for an A-segment car, all four doors can each hold a large-capacity bottle (1,0-litre size in the front doors; 0,6-litre in the rear doors); drinks holders positioned immediately rearward of the gear lever further boost i10's functionality.

Results showed that customer clinic participants placed i10 ahead of key segment rivals in terms of both comfort and functionality, with 70% rating the car highly for ease of access and front seat roominess.

The bodyshell of i10 is stiffer, thanks to the use of high-tensile steel, tailored blanks, reinforcing loops and additional bracing, with torsional rigidity increased by 27% over its predecessor. High-tensile steel forms 29,2% of the body structure of i10 - a huge increase over the 9% utilised in original i10. The firm underpinnings not only improve the car's impact-resistance, but yield significant improvements in noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).

Other NVH counter-measures include larger hydraulic mountings for the engine, a triple-layer dashboard bulkhead with sound-deadening panel, dual door sealing strips, and two measures to reduce wind noise - careful refinement of the shape of the door mirror mounts and moving the radio antenna towards the rear of the roof. The results of the measures are impressive, with noise levels as low as 38 decibels (dB) at idle and 65 dB on rough surfaces - noticeably below those of key rivals.

Generous standard equipment from the segment above

Hyundai Motor continues to lead the way in new technology democratisation among global automakers, appointing i10 with features and equipment usually found in B- or C-segment cars. More luxurious equipment available includes steering wheel-mounted cruise control with adjustable speed limiter, heated leather steering wheel and front seats, hill assist control, Smart key with engine start/stop button, LED running lights, as well as full automatic climate control.

Mid-specification models, anticipated to be the best-sellers across Europe, include features that customers will value highly, such as front and rear power windows, remote central locking and height adjustable driver's seat.

Even base models feature a generous standard of specification, including central locking, trip computer, daytime running lights and a full complement of active and passive safety equipment.

Hyundai i10's 'true value' proposition is expected to result in buyers moving towards higher trim lines, with as many as 87% expected to opt for cars in medium and high trim.

High levels of craftsmanship

Hyundai Motor's engineers and designers have worked hard to ensure that levels of craftsmanship found in i10 equal or exceed those typically found in B-segment cars. High-quality materials, the careful selection of colours and a thorough attention to detail leave occupants with a feeling of well-being - confirmed by customer clinic participants who found the illumination of the instruments and the design of the steering wheel, dashboard and centre console especially appealing.

The cabin of i10 contains no exposed metal, enhancing the impression of comfort and perceived quality. The full-width colour below-dashboard insert and matching trim add further sophistication to the cabin ambience. Attention to detail can be seen throughout - such as the multi-button power window cluster and the fully adjustable, cloth covered front head restraints.

Hyundai Motor's perceived quality team was created to make sure that Hyundai Motor models leave drivers and passengers with a lasting impression of high quality, and played a vital role in the development of i10.

The team ensured that controls feel substantial yet operating forces are in line with ergonomic ideals; that surfaces of the instrument panel and touch-points in and around the car look and feel refined, with screw heads concealed or covered in key places such as around the interior door handles; and that contact points are free of lines or contours that may detract from the high-quality feel. i10 leaves drivers and passengers with. The team also made sure that all instruments and controls were easy to reach and intuitively-placed for European drivers.

ENGINES & TRANSMISSIONS

In keeping with the European focus of i10, the engineering team at HME TC in Rüsselsheim developed and tuned powertrains suited to meet the demands of the region's buyers, and reinforce the new model's sophisticated and refined characteristics.

Hyundai Motor has given i10 buyers a choice of two highly-developed gasoline engines driving the front wheels through five-speed manual or four-speed automatic gearboxes. The Indian-built 1,1-litre Epsilon engine has been discontinued.

i10's 1,0-litre and 1,25-litre powerplants both belong to Hyundai Motor's popular 'Kappa' engine family and incorporate a range of advanced technical features that raise power and torque, and enhance smoothness and driveability.

Outstanding features of the Kappa's modern architecture include: dual overhead camshaft (DOHC), dual continuously variable valve timing (CVVT), a very stiff cast aluminium block with cast iron liners, aluminium cylinder head, lighter connecting rods and maintenance-free long-life timing chain.

The 1,0-litre engine also introduces a number of innovative features that reduce friction and vibration, promoting more complete combustion and increase durability. These include a crank offset by 11 mm, low-friction 'beehive' conical valve springs that reduce noise, piston cooling jets, valves and tappets coated in diamond-like carbon (DLC) for enhanced durability, and pistons and low-tension piston rings that are coated using long-lasting physical vapour deposition (PVD).

The 1,0-litre, three-cylinder powerplant has a power output of 66 ps from its 998 cc capacity. Maximum power is produced at 5500 rpm, 700 rpm earlier than in previous generation i10, while peak torque of 94 Nm (69 lb.ft) is available from 3500 rpm. i10 with this engine and manual transmission can travel from standstill to 100 km/h in 14,9 seconds and on to a top speed of 155 km/h.

This unit will be available with liquid-petroleum gas (LPG) as a factory-fitted option. In this form its maximum power is 67 ps at 6200 rpm, with 90 Nm (66 lb.ft) torque produced at 3500 rpm.

Expected to take approximately 40% of total sales, the four cylinder 'Kappa' 1,25-litre engine, with a 1248 cc capacity, offers drivers 87 ps at 6000 rpm. Maximum torque of 120 Nm (88 lb.ft) is available to the driver from 4000 rpm.

When mated to manual transmission, the 1,25-litre i10 can accelerate from standstill to 100 km/h in 12,3 seconds and reach a top speed of 171 km/h.

Both gasoline engines will be equipped with either a five-speed manual gearbox as standard or an optional four-speed automatic transmission.

Top gear (fifth) in the manual transmission is a 'tall' ratio (0,719:1 for 1,25 models and 0,774:1 for 1,0 models) reducing engine revs at higher speed to enhance refinement and fuel economy. A shift indicator displayed on the driver's binnacle aids the driver in achieving the optimum driving efficiencies.

The manual transmission of Hyundai i10 features synchromesh rings coated with carbon fibre, resulting in greater durability. Considerable development time has also been invested into making the gearbox more accurate and more efficient. A guide plate inserted in the shift gate brings a more precise shift quality designed to satisfy the preferences of European drivers, while a reverse gear guide and reverse gear brake make mis-selection harder and selection easier. These innovative features, together with lower oil capacity and the use of lower-friction oil helps reduce fuel consumption by approximately 1%.

A BlueDrive™ model, based on the 1,0 gasoline variant, is being offered from launch, including a number of features to reduce fuel consumption. The four-seat model incorporates Integrated Stop & Go (ISG - also available as an option on 1,0 gasoline models), 13-inch wheels that minimise rolling resistance, and automatic air conditioning (where air conditioning is fitted).

RUNNING GEAR

As with every aspect of i10, Hyundai Motor's European R&D team went to great lengths to ensure the new model's suspension and running gear have been tuned to offer exceptional ride quality and refinement, and low noise levels, putting the vehicle at the top of the segment, on a par with vehicles from the class above.

The new model's larger dimensions - the wheelbase is increased by 5 mm and the tracks by 83 and 95 mm (front, depending on model) and 55 and 67 mm (rear, depending on model) - contribute to improved ride quality and a more stable driving experience. The i10's reduction in overall height (down by 40 mm) lowers its centre of gravity, enabling more agile handling.

The suspension system of i10 introduces major advancements over its predecessor, most notably the rear shock absorbers, which now stand vertical. The change in their orientation greatly reduces friction, resulting in greater wheel control and handling, and improved ride quality, benefitting occupant comfort. At the front of the car, revised hard points for the subframe-mounted MacPherson strut suspension reduce 'nose dive' during hard braking.

Geometry changes to suspension components and steering arms, and the introduction of side loading springs, deliver improved feedback. The steering system employs electric power-assistance and requires 2,9 turns lock-to-lock for a 9,56-metre turning circle.

As standard, the i10's braking system features 241 (1,0 models) or 252 mm (1,25 models) diameter ventilated discs at the front and 234 mm diameter solid discs at the rear. The system was tested and refined over a 12-kilometre Alpine route that features elevation changes of 1.600 metres and includes numerous long downhill slopes, subjected the brakes to prolonged operation. Its height above sea level means it is only open between May and October, during which the development team made repeated numbers of high-speed stops with fully-laden test cars. To maximise braking power and stability, an anti-lock braking system (ABS), electronic brake force distribution (EBD) and electronic stability control (ESC) are all fitted as standard.

Just as importantly, Hyundai Motor's European engineers tuned i10's brakes to deliver the feel and feedback demanded by the region's drivers, employing procedures originally developed to refine the company's C- and D-segment cars.

Hyundai Motor's new A-segment contender was tested extensively for two years throughout Europe and in south-east Asia to ensure it is as well-suited to the wide variety of driving conditions found in the continent as it is to the region's driving tastes. Hot weather tests were conducted in Cadiz and Granada in Spain, while cold weather testing took place at high altitude in Switzerland and on frozen lakes in Sweden, in temperatures as low as minus 25°C. Testing of road behaviour and stability control systems took the car as far away as northern Japan and Hyundai Motor's Namyang research and development centre in Korea.

SAFETY

Safety is a top priority for Hyundai Motor and i10 benefits from the latest technologies, including several from the segment above, to make it one of the safest vehicles in its segment. A range of active and passive safety features ensure maximum protection for occupants and pedestrians alike.

Active safety features such as electronic stability control (ESC) and vehicle stability management (VSM) are fitted as standard for the first time on an A-segment car from Hyundai Motor, as is a tyre pressure monitoring system.

The ESC was carefully tuned to be as nonintrusive as possible, creating a more natural-feeling and comfortable driving experience. Achieving this with A-segment vehicles is usually difficult, due to typically higher centres of gravity and relatively short wheelbases, which can result in low loads on the rear of the vehicle and subsequent instability - characteristics i10 mitigates thanks to its athletic proportions. High-grip testing was carried out at Hyundai Motor's Namyang R&D centre in Korea, while the system's low-grip behaviour was tested and refined in northern Sweden and in northern Japan.

i10's impressive passive safety equipment includes six airbags - two front, two front side and two full-length curtain - as standard, offering outstanding protection to occupants in the event of a collision. Seatbelt reminders for all occupants and automatic central locking are also standard features.

The stronger bodyshell created for Hyundai i10 uses high-strength steel and incorporates ring-shaped reinforcing loops within the B- and C-pillars, and across the floor pan and roof, plus additional bracing at the front between the cowl and suspension towers, to improve rigidity and safety.

THE MARKETPLACE

Hyundai Motor entered the European A-segment in 1999 with the Atos (Atoz in some markets) and enjoyed incremental success with the i10. In the past 14 years Hyundai Motor has sold 865.000 A-segment cars, and the European-designed, developed and built i10 is set to continue the company's segment-leading heritage and acute understanding of the changing trends within it.

Since 2007, cumulative i10 sales across Europe have surpassed 450.000 units, peaking in 2009 at 107.000 sales. In 2010, i10 was the company's best-selling model in Europe; in 2012 it was still the fourth best-selling model, accounting for 15 per cent of the brand's total sales in the region, six years after its launch into the market.

Over its lifecycle, i10 has taken an average 5,9% share of the European A-segment, and this strong performance will continue with i10, which has been designed to appeal to existing owners while winning new customers for the brand. Hyundai Motor expects its latest model to achieve annual sales of 74.000 units during its first full year on sale in 2014 - a 6,3% share of the A-segment, which independent analysts expect to grow to 1,4 million units by 2016.

i10 won Hyundai Motor around a quarter of a million new customers between 2008 and 2012 - making it the brand's biggest-conquesting model in Europe. The class-leading functionality offered by i10 is expected to appeal to existing customers while its new style and expanded range of abilities will enable it to also attract new consumers from a wider demographic range - predominantly 36-55 year-olds who list design as the deciding factor when purchasing a new model.

FLEET

Since going on sale in 2007, the Hyundai i10 has played an important role in Hyundai Motor's expanding presence in the fleet sector and the company believes its predecessor will be even more popular as the company targets further growth within the area.

In 2012, 11 per cent of all i10 units sold in Europe were through fleet channels. As a result, Hyundai Motor's true fleet A-segment market share stands at 3,5%, ahead of the company's overall true fleet share of 2,3%.

Strong 2012 performances in countries such as the UK (8,8% market share), Sweden (6,3%), Spain (5,4%), Poland (4,9%) and Netherlands (4,1%) demonstrate the enduring appeal of Hyundai Motor's i10 range to small service providers, six years after the first-generation model was launched.

Of the 74.000 annual sales target for i10, Hyundai Motor forecasts a 12% channel share in the true fleet sector - amounting to 8.880 units per year.

Hyundai Motor's unique Five Year Unlimited Mileage Warranty will continue to be a valuable point of differentiation for buyers of i10, and is now available on a pan-European basis for the first time. Available only in Europe, the comprehensive package has no mileage limit and comes with five years of roadside assistance and five years of vehicle health checks, providing peace of mind for fleet buyers, fleet operators, company car drivers and private motorists.

i10, with its new, more efficient engine line-up, European design and high levels of perceived quality, and better-than-previous predicted residual values (RVs), is expected to offer buyers reduced total cost of ownership (TCO).

PRODUCTION

The Hyundai i10 heralds a new era for Hyundai Motor: the start of European production of its A-segment model. The move of production involved a €475 million investment in the Hyundai Assan Otomotiv Sanayi (HAOS) production facility in Ízmit, made in 2012. The investment has created more than 2.800 jobs at the plant and in the local supplier base, and takes Hyundai Motor's total investment in its Turkish production facility to more than €1 billion.

"The addition of i10 to our production line in Turkey is a very positive step, guaranteeing European consumers high levels of build quality thanks to the plant's world-class standards," concluded Rushforth.

In total, Hyundai Motor employs 2.350 people at the plant, which also utilises 170 robots. The number of direct suppliers based in the Ízmir region has increased to 43 thanks to the expansion in production capacity. The lines at the 123.167 m2 Turkish facility have been extended by 55,5% to accommodate i10 production - they are now 560 metres long and capable of producing 36 cars per hour.

The addition of the i10 to the production line - alongside Hyundai Motor's B-segment model, New i20 - will see the HAOS factory increase its annual production capacity to 200.000 units from 2014. Hyundai Motor's annual production capacity at its two European plants - in Turkey and the Czech Republic - now stands at 500.000 units.

Production of i10 at the Turkish factory will begin in September 2013 with European sales starting in November 2013. From 2014 onwards, more than 90% of all cars built at HAOS will be destined for sale in Europe.

The adoption of a pan-European trim strategy for i10 has reduced factory complexity by approximately 85%, lowering production times while increasing customer choice.