2. Forum
  3. Dialog
  4. English-Talk
  5. Analog clock from B7 in B6

Analog clock from B7 in B6

VW Passat B6/3C
Themenstarteram 12. Februar 2011 um 9:50

Hello,

Quite new in this forum - normally I've only uses english forums, but now I would like to give it a try...

I'm about to retrofit the analog clock from the new Passat to my '07 model.

Currently I have found the following partnumers:

1 x 3AB 857 212 E (blende)

1 X 3AB 858 366 G (blende)

1 X 3AA 857 318 B (traeger)

2 X N 906 986 06 (innensechsrung-blechschraube)

1 X 3AA 919 204 (Uhr)

1 x 1K0 973 333 (Gehause mit kontaktverriegelung uhr)

I have upgraded the can-gateway to 3C0907530Q and cluster to 3C8920880G (Premium with LED).

How do I connect the 3 wires to the clock?

Ähnliche Themen
29 Antworten

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von boranerone

Sry, dumme Frage, der Thread ist vor 2 Jahren erstellt worden.

Seit dem wird nur in englisch geschrieben, der Ersteller hat sich lange nicht mehr gemeldet.

Da ich nicht sehen kann wer woher kommt, ist es noch nötig auf englisch zu schreiben ?

Sorry for English, but it is easier to me, not only to the author of the topic ;)

We moved back here from this thread, where diskoboy is alive :)

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/umbau-passat-3c-passat-3c-facelift-b7-t2920700.html?page=74&highlight#post35828218

P.S. The thread was opened long time ago, but it is important, because only now it became clear how to light up the B7 analog clock. And bronken is working on even better solution.

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von diskoboy

Wheee :)

Just got the lights working in the analog clock from the new Passat B7. Now I just need to install it.

It's connected to the following way:

1: 12V

3: Ground

No 3 from the top is the interior light :)

On the Passat B7 pin 2 is connected to the gateway, but since it's quite a big job installing the gateway B7 in a B6, this is the way easiest way...

I have used this instruction, but I also used Pin2 for "look-like-original" connection.

Picture 1: I have "disconnected" Pin2 from the clock (cut the small line off);

Picture 2: I have made the connection from Pin2 to the contact "No3 from the top" (invented by discoboy! :) ).

And connected Pin2 to the dimmer. Of course this does not allow to set the time, but for resetting the clock I have made a small button which is easily accessible under radio decor.

P.S. I have another clock waiting for a better solution from bronken :)

am 17. Januar 2013 um 4:29

Hi guys,

First time poster, but definitely not new to this topic. I have a 2010 VW VR6 4Motion that didn't come with the Analog Clock originally, but they added that feature to the 2011 series.

Sure enough, before I stumbled upon this thread today, I did the exact same thing you guys are discussing here. I adapted my complete dash, added in the analog clock (which btw is the exact same clock in the CC and so are the wiring charts).

And sure enough... I have the exact same problem. Even if I wire Pin 2 of the Analog Clock to Pin 2 of the 20 pin J533 module (CANBUS), you still can't synch the time.

So then I started going down the path of lighting... Did you know that the clock itself is equipped with both RED and WHITE LEDs? I'll see if I can't take a picture... but if you wire power and ground to the right pins, you can get the RED LEDs to power on instead of the white ones.

In any case, I'm REALLY excited that there might be a "LIN to CAN" solution in the hopefully near solution, because I would really like to complete this mod and have a synchronized clock.

One thing I looked into before, was instead of hooking PIN 2 up to the CANBUS.... to hook it up to a wire in between the Instrument Cluster and the RNS-510 (RCD-510 in your case I think). I don't know the pinout, because I don't believe VW released a wiring diagram for those units, however, I figured that "maybe" because those 2 devices stay in synch with each other when you adjust the time, there might be a central wire you could tap into to receive the same signal. It's probably not that simple as the signal is probably only meant for communication between those 2 devices... but I don't know. Wanted to see what the rest of you have tried so far. I simply can't wait to finally figure out this mystery though! It will be nice for who ever gets to claim the victory on solving this one ;)

For the RED LEDs, I was able to test it with this wiring:

http://i97.photobucket.com/.../IMG-20130108-00032_zpsf6ff7fba.jpg

The end pin above is what I gave Ground

And the other one I gave +12v

http://i97.photobucket.com/.../IMG-20130108-00034_zps05e6099f.jpg

Im not sure if I understand what you mean?

The Clock signal in the Cluster and Radio is synced via CAN. You cant just shortcut the clocks LIN to that CAN Connection. LIN and CAN arent compatible in any way. Best case scenario nothing works but worst case you short circuit the CAN and either the whole CAN system with all its attached ECUs goes down or the ECUs could even suffer damage.

The Cluster sends the time data via CAN to the Gateway which mirrors the data from the clusters high speed CAN to the low speed entertainment CAN where the Radio is. The Radio then receives the data and thus, knows the time.

am 17. Januar 2013 um 5:59

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von bronken

Im not sure if I understand what you mean?

The Clock signal in the Cluster and Radio is synced via CAN. You cant just shortcut the clocks LIN to that CAN Connection. LIN and CAN arent compatible in any way. Best case scenario nothing works but worst case you short circuit the CAN and either the whole CAN system with all its attached ECUs goes down or the ECUs could even suffer damage.

The Cluster sends the time data via CAN to the Gateway which mirrors the data from the clusters high speed CAN to the low speed entertainment CAN where the Radio is. The Radio then receives the data and thus, knows the time.

Ahhh, I gotcha. So the clock actually requires a LIN signal not CAN. I wasn't aware of that... but that makes sense now. Thanks. I was thinking that perhaps the Cluster and NAV sent the same signal that the clock could intercept, but i get it that everything in the car is CANBUS, and the newer models were converted to a LIN based system.

Are all the systems in the newer models completely LIN? Or is there some device they have already that acts as a converter?

Just one question, where did you place the switch for the hazard-flasher? Or two.. Where is it placed at the B7?

No, the newer models arent LIN.

The B6 uses 5 different CAN Busses (4+1 actually) for its ECUs to communicate with each other. In addition to that the B6 uses some (not only one!) LINs for some parts. All CAN Busses and some LINs meet at the Gateway which acts as a hub for all the packtes on all the busses, may it be LIN or CAN.

The B7 uses exaclty the same configuration. There are just some minor differences. The B7 has 6 (5+1) CANs and one more LIN. An thats the LIN (amoung others) the clock is located!.

LIN is an extremely low speed signal bus that sends the data relative to ground. LIN alone would never be fast let alone secure enough to serve as a cars main bus

Things are way more complicated than you might think

LIN connections only consist of one wire whereas CAN connections always consist of two connections. In the Case of CAN there is a fallback state where one of the two wires can go missing/disconnected an the receiving ACU will just use the other one measured to ground to still get tha data but youll get an error saying "Konzernbus im Eindraht"

Edit: just checked, the B6 has (depending on the configuration) 5 main CANs, up to 2 sub- CANs and up to 7 LINs

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von steery

Just one question, where did you place the switch for the hazard-flasher? Or two.. Where is it placed at the B7?

Its located underneath the radio, where the B6' Passenger light is. The passenger light however is located under the climate controls in the B7.

http://fotos.autozeitung.de/.../VW_Passat_20TDI_021.jpg

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von usaf-lt-g

For the RED LEDs, I was able to test it with this wiring:

The end pin above is what I gave Ground

And the other one I gave +12v

Hey, welcome to interesting discussion :)

I think you are referring to the same 3rd contact/pin as in case of the connection I made (see post and pictures above).

In my case (I am sure yours as well) ALL LEDs - red and white light up, which was strange to me, but I left it like that... From the outside red color is not visible so it would be interesting to know why is it needed???

Another point is that I think the clock is too bright after direct connection. I have connected it to the dimmer and it looks more convenient to the eyes at the lower side of the dimmer, at which all other lights are too low.

Have to check how it looks in B7 at night... My B6 night photo attached (dimmer set at high position).

Themenstarteram 28. Januar 2013 um 20:54

Nice that others have installed the clock in the B6 :-)

I'll just have to finish retrofitting PLA (new ABS unit, new EPB, new hall sensor) + 2 extra sensors and PLA 1,5 module and a button in the centre console.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll install it myself :-)

Zitat:

Nice that others have installed the clock in the B6 :-)

I'll just have to finish retrofitting PLA (new ABS unit, new EPB, new hall sensor) + 2 extra sensors and PLA 1,5 module and a button in the centre console.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll install it myself :-)

I used your suggested method, thanks :) By the way, did you notice that red leds are also on?

P.S. PLA installation was something what I would not like to do again :)

und auf Deutsch :confused:

am 20. März 2015 um 8:32

Hello guys !

Did the analog clock retrofit in my 2009 passat cc.

Installation was without issues - thanks for the write'up.

To reset the clock in 12 hour used a small switch which I installed under the hazard button under the rcd trim.

the light of the clock is linked to the dimmer - works without issues but if you ask me it glows to powerful or I am not used to it.

Is there any way to dim it without using the dimmer button ? Using the dimmer other buttons lights are to low.

Thanks

am 8. November 2017 um 21:29

Zitat:

@muntega schrieb am 12. Januar 2013 um 23:24:21 Uhr:

Finally happy with the result! :)

Hello!

I know it's been long time ago since the above post written, but I'm trying to make the same mod in my car, but it seems that my clock is completely ignoring me - no matter what I'll send via LIN bus - it just won't work.

How'd you do that?

Regards

Tom

Hello. Excuse me for writing in English, but it's hard for me to speak that too. ;) I would like to ask, where should the button with which you set the time be connected?

Zitat:

@Fensterheber48728 schrieb am 14. Januar 2013 um 18:06:58 Uhr:

Zitat:

Wheee :)

Just got the lights working in the analog clock from the new Passat B7. Now I just need to install it.

It's connected to the following way:

1: 12V

3: Ground

No 3 from the top is the interior light :)

On the Passat B7 pin 2 is connected to the gateway, but since it's quite a big job installing the gateway B7 in a B6, this is the way easiest way...

I have used this instruction, but I also used Pin2 for "look-like-original" connection.

Picture 1: I have "disconnected" Pin2 from the clock (cut the small line off);

Picture 2: I have made the connection from Pin2 to the contact "No3 from the top" (invented by discoboy! :) ).

And connected Pin2 to the dimmer. Of course this does not allow to set the time, but for resetting the clock I have made a small button which is easily accessible under radio decor.

P.S. I have another clock waiting for a better solution from bronken :)

Deine Antwort