3. Dialog
  4. English-Talk
  5. Retrofit PDC Front + Rear POLO 6R

Retrofit PDC Front + Rear POLO 6R

VW Polo 5 (6R / 6C)
Themenstarteram 3. November 2013 um 15:33

Retrofit PDC Front + Rear POLO 6R

Introduction

Hello all ! This is my first post at Motor-Talk and I will introduce myself shortly:

My name is Hans and I live in the Netherlands. My job is Mechanical Design Engineer. I like to do retrofitting all kind of stuff on cars. I did several mods on my Passat B6 and on my friends Golf VI. Until now I only did what others found out but for the latest mod I did on our Polo 6R was something new. As far as I know PDC on Polo 6R at FRONT has never been published before and was not available as an option to order from VW. That’s why I started this post.

The PDC on Polo 6R was not ordered with this car at all, and as I am used to it on my Passat (front and rear) I wanted to have the same on the Polo. I ordered a set from “Carssystems.PL” which came in a few days. The set consisted of: sensors in the car colour with sensor holders, wiring, connectors, electronic module, switch and an installation manual. The manual was very poor and did not cover front bumper installation. Also the switch was not usable, this I will explain in the interior section.

THIS GUIDE IS A REPORT OF HOW I DID IT. IF YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING SIMILAR IT WILL BE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IN ANY WAY !

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING TO THE ELECTRIC SYSTEM OF THE CAR!

The sensor holders from Carsystem.PL come in 3 types: flat, flaw bend, a bit more bend. As the car is symmetrical I don’t understand I received an uneven number of the various types? After I completed therear bumper I decided to use original VW for the front. I did it because the uneven number of types I received but more because the sensors stick out of the bumper. See section “results”. I used Sensor holder 3C5 919 491 N + Tape: 3C0 919 939 (these are suitable for the almost flat sections of the bumper, and can be used for all 4 sensors in the front bumper). I used in 2 positions the ones with red tape (these were left over from a Passat project) and are with a flaw bend; in my Polo it is okay, but the others fit better.

For people who are interested in the original Polo sensor holders I added a picture with part numbers. Be aware of the placement: I think these will need 2 component glue to fix, instead of the double adhesive tape from “Carsystems.PL” or the Passat types I used. Otherwise the sensor may not be equal to the bumper outline surface.

For the hole making I pre-drilled from the inside first ø3mm and then ø9.5mm. Then I punched ø18.6 mm with a tool from “Greenlee”. The punch tools are also available from “Q-Max” (Google is your friend ?). To create smooth edges on the visible (out)side you should punch from outside to inside.

I made an aluminium positioning tool as help to center the sensor holder in the bumper hole.

The CAN-wire should be twisted to prevent electronic interference. As delivered it was just straight. From my experience in machine designing I know it is general method to have a twisted pair of wires on bus systems. If you know the CAN bus that is used for the PDC is the most relevant one of all (POWERTRAIN) it is better to prevent problems. So I contacted “Carsysems.PL” for this and they replied: ‘It will also work this way’. I untied the wiring loom and twist the CAN pair myself, then tied the wires together again. This feels more comfortable for me!

Front original
Rear original
Material
+7
Beste Antwort im Thema
Themenstarteram 3. November 2013 um 16:01

Front bumper removal

According to the workshop manual it should be possible to leave the top grill into position, but I found it easier to remove it as well. The plastic is thin and breaks very easy, so my friend warmed it a little with a hair dryer. The head lights need to be taken out, after removing 2 bolts you can slide them frontwards with a small click.

The bumper itself is mounted with several (metal) screws in the wheel arches and on the bottom side. There are also many plastic snap connections, I indicated all of them in the pictures. 2 persons are required the take the bumper carefully of.

+7
19 weitere Antworten
19 Antworten
Themenstarteram 24. Mai 2023 um 17:16

Hi .....?

I still own the Polo but for the moment it's not here, the kids drive it mostly :-)

When it's back, I think in a few days, I will look and provide you the requested info.

BR

Hans

Great news Hans ! I will look forwards to it. In the mean time I will try to place the cables through the car. I have the originally PDC in place at the rear and I have to replace the original module with the new one for front and rear. Can you confirm that this module is located at the rear right side of the trunk ?

BR

Paul

Themenstarteram 29. Mai 2023 um 19:25

Hi Paul,

Here's my promised answer:

The sensors in the front bumber are located 105 mm above the black section

and the horizontal c.t.c. distances are 327 - 605 - 327 mm

The electronic module that I placed was in the boot as can be seen in the section of this post with the title 'rear'.

Originally could be right hand side, just as in my previous Passat, but in the Polo I placed it on the left.

This is not really important.

Hopefully this will help and I wish you good luck!

It would be nice if you could post some pictures and info about the results.

Hans

Hi Hans,

Tomorrow I'll mount the sensors. When you write 105mm above the black section you mean the large grid in the bumper, yes ? 105 is quite high for me, because of the headlamp washer it could be.that the outer sensor have to be moved down and no longer be in line with the 2 in the middle... And are you happy with the 327mm? I mean no dead angle or things that are not detected when appearing closer to the front wheels?

KR,

Paul

Themenstarteram 6. Juni 2023 um 19:37

In that case I advise you to find a parked Polo somewhere as yours, with headlight washers and determine the required dimensions.

Deine Antwort
  1. Startseite
  2. Forum
  3. Dialog
  4. English-Talk
  5. Retrofit PDC Front + Rear POLO 6R