ForumEnglish-Talk
  1. Startseite
  2. Forum
  3. Dialog
  4. English-Talk
  5. Any suggestion for family car around 25k euro?

Any suggestion for family car around 25k euro?

Themenstarteram 16. November 2017 um 4:26

Hi,

I’m not really into cars in general and I’m overwhelmed with the amount of models and trims.

My budget is around 25 and my priorities are:

- nice built car (no cheap Dacia style)

- a large trunk (350liter more or less)

- a good mileage (GPL/ERdgas is a good option)

Currently I’m looking at:

- new Polo 2018

- seat Arona

- Opel Crossland

- wolkswagen t-rock

Ähnliche Themen
17 Antworten

T-rock looks good. Test drive that for sure.

Zitat:

@ignazioc schrieb am 16. November 2017 um 05:26:24 Uhr:

Hi,

I’m not really into cars in general and I’m overwhelmed with the amount of models and trims.

My budget is around 25 and my priorities are:

- nice built car (no cheap Dacia style)

- a large trunk (350liter more or less)

- a good mileage (GPL/ERdgas is a good option)

That point isn't clear to me.

LPG = Autogas (quite good gas station coverage in Germany)

CNG = Erdgas (quite bad gas station coverage in Germany, not even all bigger towns in the region have such a gas station)

That are completely incompatible things (except that both have Otto engines and both is some sort of gas in the meaning of "not liquid or solid").

LPG/CNG gas stations: http://gas-tankstellen.de/menu.php (Ort, Ortsteil, PLZ = city/town, village/named part of town or village that was integrated to the town, postal code; Anzeigen = show, here in the meaning of search)

Zitat:

Currently I’m looking at:

- new Polo 2018

- seat Arona

- Opel Crossland

- wolkswagen t-rock

Opel IIRC has some LPG cars. I'm more familiar with Renault. But there LPG/CNG isn't available at least in Germany.

Are you talking about a brand-new car configured by your own or may the car by a little bit used resp. registered some months ago to a dealer = manufacturer guarranty is already running?

HTH

notting

Family car?

Why not a Fabia or Fabia estate?

Btw, it's boot not trunk.

Zitat:

@itasuomessa schrieb am 17. November 2017 um 20:14:28 Uhr:

Family car?

You know that there isn't _the_ English language?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunk_(car)

Zitat:

The trunk (North American English) or boot (British English) of a car is the vehicle's main storage compartment.

notting

Themenstarteram 17. November 2017 um 20:40

Zitat:

CNG = Erdgas (quite bad gas station coverage in Germany, not even all bigger towns in the region have such a gas station)

That are completely incompatible things (except that both have Otto engines and both is some sort of gas in the meaning of "not liquid or solid").

Sorry I was not clear, I mean LPG OR Erdgas :) not both at the same time. I'm open to both options because I think that both have two main advantages: mileage and environment friendly.

Themenstarteram 17. November 2017 um 20:44

Zitat:

@notting schrieb am 17. November 2017 um 20:44:51 Uhr:

Zitat:

Family car?

Zitat:

Zitat:

The trunk (North American English) or boot (British English) of a car is the vehicle's main storage compartment.

notting

I was not even aware of the difference. English is not my first language, but it's better than my german :)

Back to the topic, I would be more than happy to get a VW, but considering a couple of accessories the only one on my budget would be the new Polo (that's not bad at all)

Zitat:

There is, it's called English, from England ;) The UK's much closer than the US of A.

Americans speak something else entirely :p

For the same money as a well equipped Polo you can get a lot of other nice and, more importantly, larger cars.

Zitat:

@ignazioc schrieb am 17. November 2017 um 21:40:03 Uhr:

Zitat:

Sorry I was not clear, I mean LPG OR Erdgas :) not both at the same time. I'm open to both options because I think that both have two main advantages: mileage and environment friendly.

I think you don't mean the mileage (AFAIK: how much gas/km or how many km driven in total since build), but the range. The mileage increases in l/km or l/100km or whatever because the "gas gas" has much less energy density than normal liquid gas (don't mean liquidfied gas).

The problem is that there're only a few engines left which will work fine if "upgraded" to LPG/CNG with third-party parts without additional expensive engine modifications. Best is always if the manufacturer sells you a car with LPG/CNG (I'm not talking about third-party companies/parts recommended by the manufacturer, that's just the second best solution).

If you replace "only" the spare tire by the LPG tank, your LPG range will be usually shorter than with normal gas. Because you don't loose the normal gas tank by that, it will increase your range in total. There are also solutions with more LPG range but loosing some room in the trunk.

IIRC it's much harder to upgrade a normal car with CNG (than with LPG).

The sub-forum here about LPG/CNG: https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/gaskraftstoffe-b450.html

notting

PS: English is also not my native language. But I also had English teachers in school who prefer US English e.g. because when they where a student they were in the US for an exchange year. And I'm reading some US websites concerning cars :-)

If you want to use American colloquialism.... (gas) mileage is one of them; i.e. how many miles you get to the gallon, or the other way round l/100km. :)

As you rightly said VW engines of late are difficult to convert to LPG/CNG; unless you get a naturally aspired petrol engine. Not sure VW (or anyone in the VAG group) do any of these anymore in any cars the OP would consider.

@ignazioc How many kms / mls do you want to drive a year?

LPG/CNG is probably a little cheaper than DERV (Diesel) but unless you do high annual mileage probably a 'normal' petrol would do?

Themenstarteram 17. November 2017 um 22:34

Zitat:

@itasuomessa schrieb am 17. November 2017 um 23:09:09 Uhr:

If you want to use American colloquialism.... (gas) mileage is one of them; i.e. how many miles you get to the gallon, or the other way round l/100km. :)

As you rightly said VW engines of late are difficult to convert to LPG/CNG; unless you get a naturally aspired petrol engine. Not sure VW (or anyone in the VAG group) do any of these anymore in any cars the OP would consider.

@ignazioc How many kms / mls do you want to drive a year?

LPG/CNG is probably a little cheaper than DERV (Diesel) but unless you do high annual mileage probably a 'normal' petrol would do?

yep, seems I'm learning car jargon watching only american youtube videos :)

With "mileage" I mean the quantity of gasoline is needed for 100Km.

I don't wanna convert any car to LPG, I'm just evaluating also this kind of motor in my new car because the cost/km is lower and are also more environment friendly.

I drive 15k-20k Km per year.

My ideal car would have the quality of a BMW, a cheap engine and a price of a Dacia sandero :)

Zitat:

Family car?

Actually for hatchbacks there is a different name.

Trunk or boot is more a general term. I use both and I am UK educated (university wise)

Hatch or tailgate for a door that opens upward (e.g Audi Q5) trunk or boot can still be used in this context.

I have yet to meet a British native to call it 'trunk'. It's boot in BE.

Themenstarteram 21. November 2017 um 10:01

Guys you’re going off topic :)

Zitat:

@itasuomessa schrieb am 21. November 2017 um 10:28:12 Uhr:

I have yet to meet a British native to call it 'trunk'. It's boot in BE.

Maybe British, do not watch American movies..... Not

ROFL.

Off topic for a laugh. Back to the topic guys.

Deine Antwort