1. Startseite
  2. Forum
  3. Dialog
  4. English-Talk
  5. Netherlands

Netherlands

Themenstarteram 28. Juni 2015 um 8:39

Good morning everybody,

I am moving from the UK to the Netherlands and will take my car with me. I have been a member of Motor Talk for many years but I was not able to find an NL forum equivalent to this one - may be because I don't speak Dutch :D

Is anybody on here familiar with Dutch car ownership (e.g. insurances, MOT - APK, etc) or can anybody here please point me to a Dutch website equivalent to Motor Talk or the British Petrolheads?

Many thanks!

8 Antworten

I only found http://www.eu-info.de/auto-fuehrerschein-eu-europa/5892/5558/ (in German). But I don't know if that's up-to-date.

I'll try to translate in short:

1. Technical check at RDW (like TÜV/Dekra/KÜS/etc. in Germany if that tells you something). If your car is produced after 1996, it must have the COC papers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_approval#European_Commerce

2. If 1. is successful, go to the custom office. You have to pay the "BPM", if the car's 100 months old or younger.

3. Insurance: You need a paper of you current insurance how many accident-free year you have for the Dutch insurances to find a Dutch insurance.

4. Back to the RDW for the actual registration: You'll need a Dutch residence permit. They'll send the tax assessment to that address. Only if that's paid, you'll get license tags.

Don't quit the old registration/insurance before you have the Dutch license tags. Maybe you'll need temporary registration plates for export purposes (and a suitable insurence) from the country where the car's currently registered if you have to quit the registration when leaving the country.

http://www.rdw.nl

Legal department of a Dutch automobile club:

Royal Dutch Touringclub ANWB

http://www.anwb.nl

Tel.: 0031 70 3147788

Information concerning car insurances:

Nederlands Bureau Motorrijtuigverzekeraars

Postbus 3003

NL – 2280 MG Rijswijk

Tel.: 0031 70 340 8280

Fax 0031 70 340 8201

E-Mail: infocentre@nlbureau.nl

http://www.nlbureau.nl

HTH

notting

Themenstarteram 28. Juni 2015 um 16:12

Cheers mate for the reply about the insurance, I will definitely not cancel mine before I have everything sorted locally.

My car is a Saab 9-5 2.3T Linear Sport, model year 2005 in very good condition and not only for its age. I have been told by mechanics that it is nearly like new so I felt confident to invest in it to keep it in top condition. I run it on LPG as well so you can understand that in NL it would cost twice as much (at least) to get an equivalent car as I can get for it selling it in the UK and I don't mind the steering wheel position on the right.

My motorbike, well 125cc Scooter, is also nearly new and just paid it off. It is modified with aftermarket variator and fatter tyres but thats ok because I have a full unrestricted class A licence anyway. It would be my daily ride to work.

I am mostly confused about the time I can drive both vehicles before having to get Dutch registration numbers and about the costs involved. Generally speaking according to EU regulations, I can drive them for six months anywhere within the EU, because my insurance only insures me for 90 continuous days out of the UK though I thought I have three months but yesterday I read that the Dutch Customs services (Belastingdienst) wants me to get a Dutch registration after 14 days? I am confused and would appreciate your help in that matter.

Do you know the costs of transferring the vehicles to NL? I owned both for over three years so BPM should not take effect.

For the APK (MOT) that I need to register in NL, will they look at the LPG system as well and if so, what precisely?

What do they look at for the Scooter APK?

Can you recommend me a Dutch online tyre shop?

Thanks for your help.

Zitat:

@djcatshow schrieb am 28. Juni 2015 um 18:12:14 Uhr:

Cheers mate for the reply about the insurance, I will definitely not cancel mine before I have everything sorted locally.

My car is a Saab 9-5 2.3T Linear Sport, model year 2005 in very good condition and not only for its age. I have been told by mechanics that it is nearly like new so I felt confident to invest in it to keep it in top condition. I run it on LPG as well so you can understand that in NL it would cost twice as much (at least) to get an equivalent car as I can get for it selling it in the UK and I don't mind the steering wheel position on the right.

My motorbike, well 125cc Scooter, is also nearly new and just paid it off. It is modified with aftermarket variator and fatter tyres but thats ok because I have a full unrestricted class A licence anyway. It would be my daily ride to work.

I am mostly confused about the time I can drive both vehicles before having to get Dutch registration numbers and about the costs involved. Generally speaking according to EU regulations, I can drive them for six months anywhere within the EU, because my insurance only insures me for 90 continuous days out of the UK though I thought I have three months but yesterday I read that the Dutch Customs services (Belastingdienst) wants me to get a Dutch registration after 14 days? I am confused and would appreciate your help in that matter.

I understood it in that way, that if you don't have an address in your former country, some national laws can cause that the registration of your car ends automatically, then you need the temporary registration plates for export purposes. You should ask that your corresponding office in your country.

Zitat:

Do you know the costs of transferring the vehicles to NL?

I got no idea.

Zitat:

I owned both for over three years so BPM should not take effect.

100 months / (12 months/year) = 8,3 years...

Zitat:

For the APK (MOT) that I need to register in NL, will they look at the LPG system as well and if so, what precisely?

What do they look at for the Scooter APK?

Can you recommend me a Dutch online tyre shop?

Thanks for your help.

I don't know more than is written in the link...

notting

Themenstarteram 28. Juni 2015 um 18:03

Thanks for your reply. There is an additional exemption from BPM, which is if I move to NL and did not live there for the last 12 months and I owned the vehicle for at least six months prior to moving there.

http://www.belastingdienst.nl/.../exemption_for_removal_goods

Basically you need to register it pretty quickly after moving to the Netherlands, they are not quite as generous as the UK where you can drive for 6 months before having to register the car. At least you don't need to pay the BPM.

Luckily you can drive the car to the Netherlands and don't have to ship it there (some Nordic countries are strange).

After you registered the car in NL send the export declaration (on the V5C) to the DVLA in the UK, you should be able to claim any road tax back but don't know what they charge as admin fee. Your insurance might also give you a refund but probably will charge you 50 quid (was the case on my Admiral policy).

As already mentioned get proof of no claims from your UK insurer. Also see if you can find second hand head and tail lights for the car (LHD versions) in the UK as you will need to swap them over.

Themenstarteram 3. Juli 2015 um 7:15

Cheers for the replies, appreciate it.

Although the process is not as bureaucratic as it could be, the costs of motoring in NL are bonkers - starting with road tax that is ten times the cost of what I pay in the UK...

On another forum I got the suggestion to leave the car registered to an address I have in London and start my life in the Netherlands "provisionally", meaning not transferring all of my ties immediately. This would mean I would keep my place in Britain for a few months and leave the car registered there and get insurance that gives me European cover for 12 months. In my case that would still be cheaper then paying NL road tax.

My main concern would be with the local authority in NL, I understand I have to register once I move and that I have 14 days to transfer my car after that time. What if I have the Dutch home as a second home, analog to the German "Zweitwohnsitz"? Do you know if I have to register anyway?

Is it possible to have two homes, one in NL and one elsewhere and drive the car registered outside in NL for as long as EU regulations allow?

Thanks!

Are you going to work in NL?

If so are you being sent there by a British company as an expat or are you working in NL (for a Dutch employer)?

Expats get away with it, timescales that are allowed depend on the country, normally you need to be there less than 6 months a year but it's different and I don't know what's in Dutch laws.

If you work for a Dutch company as a regular employee the plan to have only a seconday home in NL won't play.... :D

Themenstarteram 5. Juli 2015 um 9:56

Ok, planning do get my Baksfiets then, I need to transport a week load of pampers soon.

Deine Antwort