3. Dialog
  4. English-Talk
  5. A suggestion for this forum

A suggestion for this forum

Themenstarteram 26. Oktober 2013 um 8:09

Hi!

The subject is

Zitat:

Let's talk about all car brands and car-related topics - in English please!

So this is the more international forum (more than D-A-CH). That's ok but you probably should mention in the subject that everybody should mention in what country he's currently living, the country where's the car from etc. It will avoid some misunderstandings because e.g. there're even in Europe countries with the steering wheel on the right or countries where Opel isn't called Opel ;-)

notting

Ähnliche Themen
14 Antworten

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von notting

Hi!

The subject is

Zitat:

Zitat:

Let's talk about all car brands and car-related topics - in English please!

So this is the more international forum (more than D-A-CH). That's ok but you probably should mention in the subject that everybody should mention in what country he's currently living, the country where's the car from etc. It will avoid some misunderstandings because e.g. there're even in Europe countries with the steering wheel on the right or countries where Opel isn't called Opel ;-)

notting

Indeed, it is very important, as many different engines are also used within the European market (and elsewhere) and therefore problems can occur. On top of that, some countries had catalytic converters earlier than others and others later than the rest. Different transmissions, different rear axles, different basic equipment... :)

So I'd say a minimum of:

-> Model

-> Year

-> Engine/power output

-> Transmission

-> Country of origin

:)

Themenstarteram 26. Oktober 2013 um 11:58

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von Trottel2011

Indeed, it is very important, as many different engines are also used within the European market (and elsewhere) and therefore problems can occur. On top of that, some countries had catalytic converters earlier than others and others later than the rest. Different transmissions, different rear axles, different basic equipment... :)

So I'd say a minimum of:

-> Model

-> Year

-> Engine/power output

-> Transmission

-> Country of origin

:)

Well, most of that I also expect even in a forum which was made for cars made for the German market.

Phone call in a car workshop: My car doesn't work anymore, come an help me *hanging up*

Clerk: Hello??? Are you still there???

;-)

notting

Themenstarteram 26. Oktober 2013 um 12:01

Oh, I got some more suggestions for this forum: Text created by the system (original poster, originally wrote by ..., editor help, links to blogs etc.) is still in German.

notting

I guess that depends... for specific questions about a particular vehicle problem - yes, definitely.

But I'd expect this forum to also see a lot of very broad and general threads without a direct reference to a specific model.

But anyway: good suggestion, notting.

We'll see how this forum develops, and try to find "guidelines" along the way :)

By the way: a small country flag beneath the avatar would be a nice touch for this forum (when we have a truly international forum, of course).

Cheers,

Ralle

Yeah, being new it would always take a while for it to settle in and catch on. The problem is though, there will be many little spammers and trolls trying to do that, what they do in German, in English...

main issue is gonna be that nobody will come here, the cross section of people that speak english and have knowledge to help others and coming out of the make/car sections will be far less than in the german speaking section.

ideally you could choose the interface language (in a similar fashion as you can swap between the day and night layout), and choose a language when creating a thread - it could then display a small flag for language next to the title. would be quite happy to help with translations.

flags for avatars would be a cool idea.... less guessing where people are from, which can help when answering certain types of questions (like 'should i buy a petrol or diesel'). but that you can do yourself if you really wanted to (just add to avatar img).

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von itasuomessa

ideally you could choose the interface language (in a similar fashion as you can swap between the day and night layout), and choose a language when creating a thread - it could then display a small flag for language next to the title. would be quite happy to help with translations.

IIRC, that has already been discussed internally. Just give the devs some time ;)

Themenstarteram 26. Oktober 2013 um 14:05

Zitat:

main issue is gonna be that nobody will come here, the cross section of people that speak english and have knowledge to help others and coming out of the make/car sections will be far less than in the german speaking section.

I hope that they also develop an Englisch speaking Motor-Talk website (esp. news for native English speakers -> esp. UK etc.) to attract more people from outside D-A-CH. Otherwise, you'll be absolutely right.

notting

Zitat:

Oh, I got some more suggestions for this forum: Text created by the system (original poster, originally wrote by ..., editor help, links to blogs etc.) is still in German.

Some details differ, like the date format if your browser transmits de as system language, which is usually the operating systems setting.

It might really need some work.

wbr,

BlackTM

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von BlackTM

Some details differ, like the date format if your browser transmits de as system language, which is usually the operating systems setting.

Hm, can't confirm that.

My PC is in English (UK-EN), MT comes up the same as on a German one, same on my wife's PC, which is running a Finnish OS.

Themenstarteram 27. Oktober 2013 um 7:53

Zitat:

Zitat:

Original geschrieben von BlackTM

Hm, can't confirm that.

My PC is in English (UK-EN), MT comes up the same as on a German one, same on my wife's PC, which is running a Finnish OS.

Does http://de.selfhtml.org/.../navigator_language.htm show an English oder German welcome message? (it's an example on a website explaining most HTML and JavaScript functions but it doesn't know any more languages because it's a small demonstration)

notting

Zitat:

Does http://de.selfhtml.org/.../navigator_language.htm show an English oder German welcome message? (it's an example on a website explaining most HTML and JavaScript functions but it doesn't know any more languages because it's a small demonstration)

notting

It comes up with an English message (and a German 'zurück' :) ).

What I meant is that on MT I don't see a difference, not even in the date & time format, i.e. it's not implemented currently. That's what I was trying to get across.

Screenshot-2
Screenshot-1
Themenstarteram 27. Oktober 2013 um 8:54

Zitat:

Zitat:

notting

It comes up with an English message (and a German 'zurück' :) ).

What I meant is that on MT I don't see a difference, not even in the date & time format, i.e. it's not implemented currently. That's what I was trying to get across.

Then your browser seems to provide to correct browser language. So it seems the problem is not on your computer.

notting

Zitat:

notting

Hi there,

yes, we (the Mods and the "Werkstatt") already talked about this. But it still takes some time to create a "complete english Motor-Talk".

Let´s see how it starts here and if we make some progress and the english subforum runs by itself then we will take on the next step.

Regards Martin

Deine Antwort