3. Auto
  4. Opel
  5. Astra, Cascada & Kadett
  6. Astra G & Coupé
  7. Astra G 1.4 16V

Astra G 1.4 16V

Opel Astra G
Themenstarteram 8. September 2002 um 13:35

Hallo guys.. I'm from Greece and i own an Opel Astra G (00') 1.4 16V the one with 90ps and 125Nm torque.I think the Astra G is not produced with an 1.4 engine(X14XE) in Germany

so you may not know about the model but iya has the same engine(not actually the same) with the Opel Corsa C 1.4 with some differences in the exhaust system and the intake.My car has 90ps at the wheels(actually 98ps on dynometer)and 125Nm torgue according to the factory.I want to have more power and torgue for my car not only at hogh rpm but also at low.. Here in Greece they suggetsed me many ways to upgrade my engine.One of these ways is Steinmetz which offers a camshaft kit with a better air-filter and a new exhaust system and they say that the car will be +15ps and will run better than a 1.6 one (the one with the 100ps).What is your opinion for this upgrade??Is it worth?Will i see any big difference??I don't want to trouble myself woth chip-tuning etc etc... They also told me about the dbilas intake kit with reprogramming and the red rev at 7200rpm!!The car will be around 120ps on dynometer without any other changings but asking many people that have done that the car runs worse than the normal 1.4 below 500rpm and runs very fast idle at 5000-7200rpm but i want the car to run better at all rpm!

The car now has 195-60-15H (its the sport edition) and i want to change the wheels to 205-50-16 or 215-40-17!Will the car run much much worse??What'sour opinion??

Thanx for listening to me...and for your time!Please answer in english because my German is not so good...

Ähnliche Themen
5 Antworten
Themenstarteram 8. September 2002 um 13:47

One more thing... Eibach or H&R???What is the best? They suggetsed me H&R (-45mm) with Bilstein Sprint shocks...Are they any good?? 45mm lowering will i see any difference at handling and look??Thanx..

Astra F, 1.8i, built ´93

Before : 175 / 65 R 14 = 185 km/h

new : 195 / 60 R 14 Michelin Energy ( filled with Stickstoff )= 175 km/h

:(

but much better feeling, more grip :)

Hy PiNiOn:

It sounds quite interresting what you are telling, but are you shure you've got an Astra 1.4 16V as Sportedition? It does not sound very much as sport with a 1.4 Motor. I cannot imagine that it would be very wise to tune up this small (sorry) Engine to far over 100HP. Those small Engines take all their Power out of Enginespeed (rpm). In the long run your Engine will not sustain the stress.

I think it's true, that you will have some sort of a Powerhole in the low rpm. Anyway, it is limited how much Torque you can get out of such a small Engine. And Torque you need a lot of to engage...

My recommendation would be if you by yourself a bigger Engine (say 2.0 16V). Of course you will need some other Parts (like a new Transmission, Brakes ...) to complete this Upgrade. Anyhow, even for some other Tuningmessures you might perform on your 1.4 Engine you might need new brakes (keep that in mind).

I would definately wait with upgrading you Tires from 195 to 205 or even 215 mm. This means 4 or 8 cm more all in all. Of course this is great for fast turns, but I am confident, that you will see this raised resistence in lower Topspeed and Accelleration.

I always ask myself how fast my old Ascona 2.0i could go if I would change my Tires down from 195 to 165 mm ;-)

I personally would not invest in Tuningmessures "en grande" for this small Engine (for a Astra [if it would be a Corsa, ok]), but you have to decide.

Sorry, but with lowering Cars I really have no experiance...

@TopGun:

Stickstoff=Nitrogen

I hope I was of help and appologize for my miseralbe english.

Greez

Marcel

Themenstarteram 8. September 2002 um 21:04

Thanx for your replies guys.. Migselv yes my astra G is the sport edition and 1.400cc but i ve never seen this edition in other countries with an 1.4 engine..This is due to the fact that cars here in Greece ara higly taxed considering how big their engines are(cc) and the Astra comes here only in 1.4 and 1.6 editions.. The one with 3doors is called Sport and comes with 195-60-15 alloy wheels,white dials,front fog lights,bucket seats,abs etc etc that the other 1.4 do not have.Changing my X14XE with an X20XEV as u suggested may be the perfect solution but i have to do many things to make my car legal(paperwork etc etc) and also i don't know if something happens to the chassis or the suspensio(i think the 2.0 astra has different axles and shafts and the suspension is not same designed).Asking my Opel dealer,they told me i could swap my 1.4 for a X20XEV (the one with the 136ps) for 3000Euros adding a brake upgrade also(my car doesn't have rear disks).This is quite interesting but the mount is high for me and in that case i would think to buy another car insteed!!What i want is not huge amounts of hp or torgue i just want my car to run better.. With its 90ps and 125Nm it runs 12.5sec for the first 100km/h and hits an 180km/h top speed according to the factory.I want to hit around 10 sec for the 0-100km/h and a little bit more top speed (+10km/h)..Is it possible by the way i suggested(Steinmetz kit which is the same with the kit that comes for X16XE).

COULD YOU PLEASE INFORM ME ABOUT HOW MUCH WOULD COST ME THERE TO PUT AN X20XEV IN MY CAR OR THE ONE THAT OPC HAS??WHAT WOULD BE THE COST FOR AN OVERAL TRANSPLANT TO 2.0 OR 2.0 OPC(CONSIDERING BRAKE UPGRADE AND SUSPENSION)??

HOW MUCH do 17" wheels cost there??(a 215-40-17 tyre??)

Thanx and sorry for my big reply..

Hy again...

Sorry, I don't know what you have to change exactly to upgrade from 1.4 to 2.0. For shure the Engine with Cable and Motronic, Suspencion (sorry I called it Transmission last time), Axes and shafts (like you said), Brakes. Maybe even a new Tank (I know for the Ascona it was a difference already between 1.6 and 20.0) and shurely some more.

Maybe someone around knows all of it...

In the end it might be cheaper to by a new "used" Astra with bigger Engine. This depends of course on if you have the possibillity to make the most (or all) of the work by yourself or not. It might help if you got a Astra 2.0 (or what ever) which ended up in a Car accident, then you have everything you need to switch from Car A to Car B.

Ich can see the financiel problem (it's the same with me). I once changed my Cars Engine (old) from a 16N to 16S. This was of couse no prob, because it was only the Engine to change and nothing else.

I think the cheapest would be for you (in changing Engine) to get yourself a Car from a accident and use it as spare Part, and of course make the Work yourself (if youve got the possibillity). This means maybe some Paperwork afterwards and more tax a year, but at a relative low prize.

The next best solution would be simply in bying a Car with the desired Engine (from a foreign country?). Here: No work, no paperwork, nearly nothing to worry about, but more expensive.

Of course the cheapest of all would be some kind of Tuning based upon you 1.4 Engine, but I think you shouldn't expect much of it.

Here is a wild guess: You might get the Engine and Parts to upgrade to 2.0 (used of course) for about 1500-2000 Euros (depends upon what you need). On this amount comes the Work to build the good Stuff in your Car (not if you do it yourself).

Before you start: Get a exact List of all the things you need for the upgrade with Prizes! Ask you local Mechanik or Tunershop how much they need to make the upgrade. Compare it with the Prize of a new Car and the Tuningmessures for the 1.4.

After that, sit down, take a break and think of which solution you like most (and you pouch!).

By the way. I understand you Taxproblem. It is much the same here in Germany, but the tax depends additionally to the size upon the amount of waste (NOX, CO2) your Engine produces. For some old Engines (like mine) you can by some extra devices which raise your Engines "Wasteclass" (it gets "cleaner") and makes it cheaper in tax.

Well, now I have talked enough. Maybe someone other have some good ideas for you.

Greez

Marcel

Deine Antwort