5. X Reihe
  6. X1 E84 & F48
  7. X1 F48
  8. 18d xdrive - Manual vs. Automatic

18d xdrive - Manual vs. Automatic

BMW X1 F48
Themenstarteram 21. April 2016 um 12:22

Hi everybody,

I found my self into a big dilemma. I want to order an X1 18d xdrive and I'm not sure yet if I should go with manual or automatic gearbox. I would like to go with 20d xdrive but the budget does not allow me to extend so much, and to be honest, I feel that it would be more convenient to go with more extras (see Navigation plus, Harman Kardon sound, etc.) than opting for a more potent engine.

Despite the fact that I would find 18d xdrive, enough potent on autobahn as well, I don't know if the automatic gearbox is really "required". I like to drive and to feel the car, instead of letting a software to choose for me. In the same time, I know that BMW's gearbox is very lean and closer to the ideal automatic gear. The main downside would be the resale price and, maybe, the effort in the city.

What do you think guys? Is it worth it to sacrifice the automatic gearbox in exchange of more extras for comfort?

Tank you in advance for your thoughts.

Beste Antwort im Thema
am 21. April 2016 um 21:50

Sind wir nicht hier bei Motor-Talk.de ??

17 weitere Antworten
Ähnliche Themen
17 Antworten

I was going for the extra options. I can confirm that the 18d engine is more than strong enough. And personally I prefer the manual gearbox, because with the automatic one I feel like I cannot decide myself anymore. This option is the sweet spot in my opinion.

We do own an 18s drive with AT and we love it!! Great engine with perfect transmission. We didnt miss the X Drive until now and enjoyed the other extras instead of. It´s up to you, but you should drive an test X1 at your local dealer before your choice.

i prefer AT with diesel engines ( because of the smaller torque area) and manual trans with gasoline engines

Hi Sebica

I drive since November 2015 a 25d with automatic transmission. I had no choice because my engine will be delivered only with automatic transmission. But I didn´t regret my decision. In case of mileage I´m sure that the automatic is a positive factor. Maybe sometimes the gearbox switch the next gear a bit early. If you mobilize "SPORT" in the car adjustment you can solve this "problem".:D

I spend a lot of time in a traffic jam therefore I love my transmission:)

Themenstarteram 21. April 2016 um 13:33

Thanks Manager2008 for your reply.

The difference between 18d and 20d it's another story, which I like to discuss on this thread as well.

At some point, I was thinking to move up on 20d with manual transmission and reduce some additional extras, just to satisfy the fear that 18d would be much lazy on the roads. I don't know yet because I haven't got the chance to drive neither of them.

My wife has an F20 116d and on my side, I had an Audi A6 C7 - 177CP, and that's why I don't want to go more bellow of what I've been used to drive from performance perspective. I still believe that BMW's engines are more punchy and the timing chain has been solved along with B47.

So, I still need to have test drive with 18d to see if I can see difference in performance between X1 18d and Audi A6 177CP (manual).

Any other thoughts are more than welcomed.

Themenstarteram 21. April 2016 um 13:36

Zitat:

@DriverF48 schrieb am 21. April 2016 um 15:27:42 Uhr:

Maybe sometimes the gearbox switch the next gear a bit early. If you mobilize "SPORT" in the car adjustment you can solve this "problem".:D

Thank you Driver48 for your input. Indeed, I felt that the automatic transmission tends to change the gears a little bit earlier. I like very much to use the engine break instead of using much the breaks. Anticipating is everything nowadays :)

In addition, not sure yet how reliable is this new gearbox from Aisin.

Zitat:

@sebica79 schrieb am 21. April 2016 um 15:36:59 Uhr:

Zitat:

@DriverF48 schrieb am 21. April 2016 um 15:27:42 Uhr:

Maybe sometimes the gearbox switch the next gear a bit early. If you mobilize "SPORT" in the car adjustment you can solve this "problem".:D

Thank you Driver48 for your input. Indeed, I felt that the automatic transmission tends to change the gears a little bit earlier. I like very much to use the engine break instead of using much the breaks. Anticipating is everything nowadays :)

In addition, not sure yet how reliable is this new gearbox from Aisin.

I don´t know also something about reliablitiy of the Aisin transmission. But we will see what happend.

At that time I already ordered the sport version with the pedals on the steering wheel. So I can take everytime a hand on my transmission. Very useful.

am 21. April 2016 um 21:50

Zitat:

@mamor schrieb am 21. April 2016 um 23:50:37 Uhr:

Yes we are :D:D:D:D:D

Würde mich auch interessieren wo der gute Sebica herkommt.

Willkommen in der Wirklichkeit- im Nabel von Europa;-)))

Tja wenn in Deutschland auch rund 25% der Bewohner über keinen D-Pass verfügten, wurden Beiträge in: Englisch, Französisch, Spanisch, Italienisch, Türkisch, Slowenisch ..... Nicht zum Erstaunen führen.

Habe erst grade letzthin dem Stammtisch Gerede in Freiburg zuhören dürfen.

Ihr habt noch eine "heile Welt".

Nebenbei Englisch ist ja nicht so die Welt, kommuniziere täglich darin.

Gruss aus der Schweiz

Themenstarteram 22. April 2016 um 7:03

Zitat:

I'm living in Romania and I don't speak German. If this is a problem, I can try to continue to use google translation while I'm posting data here :)

Zitat:

@sebica79 schrieb am 22. April 2016 um 09:03:07 Uhr:

Zitat:

I'm living in Romania and I don't speak German. If this is a problem, I can try to continue to use google translation while I'm posting data here :)

For me no problem Sebica. When I can help you I will do my best to communicate in English with you.

My English is not the best but enough for themes like this :)

Themenstarteram 25. April 2016 um 10:59

Zitat:

For me no problem Sebica. When I can help you I will do my best to communicate in English with you.

My English is not the best but enough for themes like this :)

That's great, I really appreciate. Your English is good though :)

Meanwhile, I made some progress and it seems that I've managed somehow to increase my initial budget that I can spend on the car. I've started to consider another alternative, as I could go with 20d xDrive Manual instead of 18d xDrive automatic.

Hard times indeed because I'm not sure yet what is more convenient, to have a more stronger engine with manual gear or paying more attention on the automatic gear box having a less capable engine.

It would be a personal acquisition for my family and not a company car. That's why I just wanted to share with you my concerns, maybe it would help me to take a wise decision, even though at the end is something subjective.

Das ist toll, ich wirklich zu schätzen. Ihr Englisch ist zwar gut :)

Inzwischen habe ich einige Fortschritte, und es scheint, dass ich irgendwie meine ursprüngliche Budget haben es geschafft, zu erhöhen, die ich auf dem Auto zu verbringen. Ich habe angefangen, eine weitere Alternative zu betrachten, wie ich mit 20d xDrive Handbuch anstelle von 18d xDrive automatische gehen könnte.

Harte Zeiten in der Tat, weil ich nicht sicher bin, noch, was bequemer ist, eine stärkeren Motor mit manuellem Getriebe zu haben oder mehr Aufmerksamkeit auf das automatische Getriebe Zahlung einer weniger in der Lage Motor haben.

Es wäre eine persönliche Erwerb für meine Familie sein und nicht ein Firmenwagen . Deshalb wollte ich nur mit Ihnen meine Bedenken zu teilen, vielleicht würde es mir helfen, eine kluge Entscheidung zu treffen, auch wenn am Ende ist etwas subjektiv.

We bought an 18d X-Drive with manual gearbox in Dec15. It was a defintive decision, because we dont like automatic transmission. Our first intention was to buy a petrol engine, but BMW only provides the 3 cyl engine with manual gearbox, without X-Drive in the new X1 F48. Nevertheless BMW automatic boxes are fine as well and maybe some of the best automatic gearboxes you can find in class, but we do not cope with that. We have our satisfaction in manual shifting and bought for the "saved money" the X-Drive instead.

My other car (a VW Golf 7 R) has a manual transmission, too. Its so much fun to drive on narrow and curvy country roads with your own free decision to shift gears in different motor speeds with a real clutch pedal and a manual joystick in a 6-speed-gearbox.

I dont want to miss this. Maybe in ten years, when I became a little quieter. But not for now:D

We dont have concerns about the engine power of the 18d. Maybe the 20d will be more fun, but I never drove. So I cant tell if I would miss the extra 40hp. The 18d is fast and convenient enough for daily driving.

Deine Antwort